We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying for flights with a debit or credit card

Hillsboro, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Paying for flights with a debit or credit card

I used to fly a lot, but cannot do much travel anymore. I am trying to remember when my bank account is charged for my flight. Is it immediately? or when I check-in on fight day? Is there a difference between debit or credit card when it comes to paying for flights?

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying for flights with a debit or credit card

If you use a debit or check card, the amount is usually deducted from your "available" balance immediately, but not deducted from the account until the charge posts (usually a couple of days later). Some airfares can be held without pre-payment, but these are usually the full fare upper classes. Lower cost fares require immediate pre-payment.

The credit card allows you to postpone payment a bit.

Differences between using a debit card and a credit card vary from card to card. It used to be you had very little dispute or chargeback options with debit cards, but that is changing and many debit cards enjoy the same protection as a credit card. But you would need to look at the terms, options, etc for the cards you actually have to determine which works best for your needs.

Edited: 12:12 am, August 13, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,141 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying for flights with a debit or credit card

If you haven't flown for a while you are probably remembering the good ole days when you (or more often, your travel agent) booked your seat but you didn't pay till a couple of weeks before the flight.

These days if you book a cheap flight you have to pay in order to confirm the booking. It doesn't matter to the airline whether you pay by debit or credit card. They get their money immediately. Paying by Credit card can, however, postpone the pain for you. 😊

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,629 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying for flights with a debit or credit card

Also check when you are booking how much the airlines charge you for paying. Many don't charge for debit card payment, but most, if not all, will charge you for paying by credit card.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,782 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying for flights with a debit or credit card

Many don't charge for debit card payment, but most, if not all, will charge you for paying by credit card

-----------

Not so in USA/Canada . Airlines do not charge extra fees paying airline tickets with a credit card.

Edited: 9:27 am, August 13, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying for flights with a debit or credit card

I normally use my debit card and turned out fine most of the time, the bank charges almost immediately i think. Pretty safe and you can control the amount you spend. No need to think about repayment compare to a cc

Edited: 11:02 am, August 13, 2013
Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying for flights with a debit or credit card

It might be charged a couple of days after the booking but certainly no longer than that and definitely not until you check in.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,437 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying for flights with a debit or credit card

The charge is put through immediately like any other purchase you make with a debit or credit card. It may take a couple days at most to get put through. They do not wait until you check in. Most tickets that people buy are non-refundable once purchased.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,772 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying for flights with a debit or credit card

If it really has been a while, you might want to bring yourself up to speed on charges for luggage, security, and all the "new" security regulations.

The world is a much different place since 9/11, and I don't know how long it has been since you have flown.

Hillsboro, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paying for flights with a debit or credit card

Thank you so much for your reply MrCycling. I am actually not booking a flight, I am disabled now. The last time I flew was probably 2005. My children are trying to book a flight for the six of them as soon as possible and asked me, but I couldn't remember. I truly appreciate the information.

ldenton56

Frankfort, Indiana
Level Contributor
842 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Paying for flights with a debit or credit card

I usually book using my debit card and can say that for my bank, it usually takes 2-3 days for the charge to go through. In one case, it even took 2 weeks.