We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

combine baggage help please

Trowbridge, United...
Level Contributor
435 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
combine baggage help please

hi can anybody help please, we are a family of 6 traveling next week with easy jet, I have booked and payed for 5 suitcases 100kg but think I will get it in 3 or 4 cases but they will weight heavier than 20kg but not over easy jets 32kg will I still get the 100kg over the 4 cases or will it be just 80kg? I have read on the easyjet site that you can combine luggage as long as its not over 32kg but also read you need to check in a case to activate the 20kg allowance, so abit confused. don't think we will get 5 cases in car but could do with the weight allowance I have payed for.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,188 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: combine baggage help please

I think to get their 20kg allowance that passenger has to check a bag. Hopefully someone will be able to give you a definitive answer.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: combine baggage help please

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty certain Leyland has it spot on. So if you only check in 4 bags then your total maximum pooled allowance between you is 80kg. If you want more then you will need to pay for additional weight allowance on one or more of the bags.

Trowbridge, United...
Level Contributor
435 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: combine baggage help please

hi thanks , that's how I am now reading it , I thought when I booked last year it would be like Thomas cook and you could combine in less suitcases but now reading easy jet hold baggage rules I think I will have to take 5 smaller suitcases to get the allowance I have payed for.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,820 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: combine baggage help please

Why not give easyJet a call and ask? I don't think they'll care if you spread your 5-bag allowance over 3 or 4 bags. They got no problem with pooling luggage in general, as long as the 32kg limit is adhered to. If they object, just bring two empty match-boxes and check them as well :)

Edited: 4:50 pm, August 07, 2013
Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,073 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: combine baggage help please

Hi

We used to do this all the time. I cannot generally manhandle a case over 12kg so my husband's weighed in at almost 32kg and mine less than half that. But I vaguely remember being told about three years ago that they would allow it one last time but the rules had changed.

Been travelling alone for two years so not tried it since then.

Jackie

Edited: 4:57 pm, August 07, 2013
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,689 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: combine baggage help please

"If you are travelling in a group of two or more on the same booking and have booked bags, you may spread the weight of your luggage across the bags. For example, two passengers with a bag each may carry 20kg of luggage each, but if you wish to put 18kg in one bag and 22kg in the other, then that’s okay with us. You've just got to remember that you cannot exceed the 40kg total weight allowance without paying additional charges."

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage

And I can't see easyJet getting upset that you've turned up with fewer bags than you've booked - if they do then check-in a plastic bag

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: combine baggage help please

I think it also has to do with union rules and how much each airport worker has to bear. If a single piece weighs too much it's that much more stress on the worker so spreading the weight out to more pieces also has its reasons. At least that's my understanding of US airport rules. Might be different in UK.

Trowbridge, United...
Level Contributor
435 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: combine baggage help please

thank you for all your help easy jet have replied to me this is what they said

Dear Rachelle,

Thank you for contacting us.

I can confirm that you can certainly combine the weight allowance of 100 kg in 3 or 4 bags, however, one bag should not exceed the weight allowance of 32 kg.

I have also included a link for more information on hold baggage policy :

http://support.easyjet.com/faq/en/request.do?view()=c{04d59790-cedc-11e2-ef6e-000000000000}

I believe the information provided helps.

Regards

Shalet

easyJet Customer Services

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: combine baggage help please

Hi rachelle

Thanks for coming back and letting us know Easyjet's response and I'm glad you have got the answer you wanted.

Very informative and I've learned something new.

Travel safe and I hope you have a good holiday.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: combine baggage help please

Thanks for sharing the info, good to know.