We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking food/drink into the USA

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Taking food/drink into the USA

Hi, l'm visiting Florida next year and heard that in some places the taste of water isn't that great. Therefore, with 3 fussy children and not wanting them to continually drink soda for 10 days, am l allowed to bring in a small 500ml bottle of cordial? I realise it would have to go into the hold luggage (with the risk of leaking etc). I've done it before on European flights, just wondered whether I'm allowed to do this into the USA? Also am l allowed to bring wrapped cereal/breakfast bars in, and is there a limit? Thanks in advance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking food/drink into the USA

Why not just buy some cordial when you get there? Or bottled water? It's the states, and it generally has a much wider choice and better value than its European counterparts

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking food/drink into the USA

Yes you can take it in just declare it. You can also obviously buy bottled water for drinks if you find it unpalatable from the tap.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,106 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking food/drink into the USA

This is the weirdest thing I have ever read.

On the airline, you can ask for, and receive, bottled water.

In Miami, if the tap water truly tastes bad, you can also go to a store and buy bottled water.

But my guess is that the tap water is fine. I can't see any reason for you to carry water. Talk about carrying coals to Newcastle!

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
10,870 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking food/drink into the USA

Dozens of choices for "non fizzy" drinks is the supermarkets...

I couldn't be bothered carrying a bottle of cordial.

Also a 500ml bottle wouldn't last that long, in that heat:-) so you would end up buying more anyway.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking food/drink into the USA

Tap water tastes can obviously vary, but I have never encountered a problem with it anywhere in the Usa.

By cordial I'm assuming the OP means something that needs to be diluted with water of some kind anyway, be that tap or bottled water ? In any event 1/2 litre for 3 children over 10 days in a near tropical climate isn't going to work is it ?

Plenty of non soda/fizzy/carbonated drinks are widely available anyway. I really wouldn't bother to be honest.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,135 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking food/drink into the USA

Hi

I took wine (two bottles), batten burg cake and toffee Bon bons into the USA, declared them and all was fine. So if you want to take squash just declare it and you will find out then if it's okay.

Smug mum talking now, I never gave mine squash, watered down fruit juice is far more delicious and doesn't contain all those nasty chemicals, and fruit juice is readily available in all USA supermarkets.

Jackie

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking food/drink into the USA

Thankyou for the helpful comments. I wasn't suggesting 500ml of cordial (not water) was going to last 10 days, merely enough to last until we could get to a supermarket. Not sure why some people had to be so sarcastic, apologies if my weird query offended people.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,135 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking food/drink into the USA

Hi

I shouldn't be smug (but I am) my son couldn't take E110 which was in all squash thirty years ago.

If it's a sealed, unopened, shop bought bottle I think you will be fine. It's better to get them to drink something and although mine are grown I remember the hassle if I tried to put something unfamiliar into their mouths especially if they were tired.

Have a good trip and don't forget to wrap the squash at least a dozen times in case is breaks and all your clothes are ruined.

Jackie

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking food/drink into the USA

I learn something new everyday on this forum. I always thought a "cordial" was a liqueur!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,050 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking food/drink into the USA

Here in the USA "cordial" IS another word for liqueur or a kind of aperitif.

Once the OP talked about his children drinking it I figured it wasn't alcohol.

It does seem strange to carry large bottles of liquids into the USA in your luggage but it is your trip and your luggage so bring what you like!