We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DCA delayed departures to JFK with a connecting

1 post
Save Topic
DCA delayed departures to JFK with a connecting

I do not know what it is with this certain flight but it has been delayed from DCA everyday. I am connecting in JFK and only was given a 2 hr layover to pass security and switch terminals. The airlines are not accommodating and say they will put me on another flight if I miss my connecting. However, my connecting is their last flight of the night. Does anyone know if it helpful to show up early and hope they can put me on an earlier flight? I heard with international connections it does not work that way. My itinerary is from DCA-JFK JFK to MAD.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,840 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DCA delayed departures to JFK with a connecting

I think that at this point there is nothing else you can do but just go to the airport and deal with the flight that you have now. You don't say how delayed the flights are but 2 hrs. to just go through security and walk to a gate may not be a problem.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,764 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DCA delayed departures to JFK with a connecting

You can try to show up early and get standby, but most airlines charge for that now. And there's no guarantees that you'll get on an earlier flight. Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't. Standby priority is usually based on elite status and then travel disruptions. You have not suffered any disruption (yet) to your travel plans. If you do not have any elite status, you'll be down at the bottom of the standby list.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,840 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DCA delayed departures to JFK with a connecting

Be careful if you go standby and get on an earlier flight that the computer doesn't screw up your itinerary and cancel your European flight and all of your return flight!! That once happened to me so beware!

It is because if you skip a leg of your itinerary all the other legs can be canceled so make sure someone tells the computer if you happen to change to an earlier flight!!!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,631 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: DCA delayed departures to JFK with a connecting

What airline(s?) are you flying that you have to change terminals at JFK? Is it Delta?

5. Re: DCA delayed departures to JFK with a connecting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 02, 2014