We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Premium last minute

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
226 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson Premium last minute

I've been watching the Premium seats go from £698 to now £438 for two of us, but has anyone ever had any luck closer to the day or even at check-in to get an upgrade at a bargain price? Or will they just let those seats go empty?! On the Dreamliner to Orlando.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,400 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson Premium last minute

£438 for 2 is cheap. I've always paid more than that on Thomsons longhaul. They may come down, they may sell them cheaper at check in, or even onboard, but as its the Dreamliner, not a lot of,people will have had any experience of late upgrades yet.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson Premium last minute

They will sell the premium seats at a discount on the day if there are any left, but you run the risk of them all having gone. And in my experience (admittedly limited with Thomson) it may not work on the way home as the agents they use at check-in desks overseas may have no idea how to upgrade you. They told me premium was full on the way home, when it wasn't. And I'd very cheerfully pay £438 (or £698 indeed) for premium seats on the Dreamliner. They're extremely spacious and comfortable - very similar to the old-style business class seats before flat beds were introduced.

Ramsgate, United...
Level Contributor
288 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson Premium last minute

UKLizzie:"They're extremely spacious and comfortable - very similar to the old-style business class seats before flat beds were introduced."

I can't wait.

Wonder if they'll let me go early?

Hugo

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson Premium last minute

I really was very pleasantly surprised indeed Hugo. I assumed Thomson would cram as many seats in as they possibly could but clearly the economics of operating the Dreamliner are as different as Boeing claim they are. Even in economy the legroom was generous, and the premium seats were better than either BA or Virgin's premium economy seats in my opinion. Avid recliners might not like them as much - the design of the premium seats means they've had to limit the recline a little to allow access to and from window and middle seats - but they reclined enough for me. I never thought I would opt to fly charter long haul, but having experienced a Thomson Dreamliner by pure luck when they were testing it on shorter flights, I would choose Thomson purely for the Dreamliner seats if I were going to Orlando or Cancun.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson Premium last minute

£438 is a great price - go for it! You can spend the time before holiday looking forward to it rather than anticipating whether you will get the upgrade or not.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
226 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson Premium last minute

Hmmm..I must be the only one who thinks it's still too much. The photos I've seen of economy look quite roomy, to me the main benefit is the 2 seats together configuration. Maybe I need to go raid the piggy bank ;)

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson Premium last minute

Remember the separate check-in queue, extra luggage, free drinks ....... ;-)

Wirral U.K.
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson Premium last minute

Remember you have probably already paid for your luggage which is included in Premium so you should knock that off the price.

Ring them and see.

I too have been watching and waiting for the price to come down for our flight.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
288 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson Premium last minute

When we went to Cuba in 2012 they were selling upgrades on the way out for around £200 (obv not on dreamliner), we upgraded on return for about 130 each.

Huntingdon, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson Premium last minute

As helshaw2002 has said and others implied and in my opinion having experienced it, £438 for two is extremely good value for Premium. I wouldn't hesitate at that price and, again as helshaw has stated, going for it now gives you peace of mind!