We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel not authorised under ESTA

vp5
London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Travel not authorised under ESTA

Hi,

I hope I have posted under the correct Topic. Please accept my apologies if I haven't.

I have been travelling to USA under a Esta for three years, first time it was approved and then I renewed it after the 2 years and continued to travel to the USA.

Reason I started to travel and have been travelling was because I met a USA citizen girl in the UK and the first time I went to USA we got engaged. Every time I entered I told the immigration that I was here to visit my fiancée.

I am British by birth and UK Passport Holder.

Today I got an email saying "Esta Status Change" when I logged in it said "Travel not Authorised under ESTA"

Only difference or change I know of is that this time I was there, due to unplanned circumstances we got married and then we went on a honeymoon the next day and returned after two weeks to the USA ( I re-entered with my esta) and then after about a week I returned back to the UK.

I have no plans ever on living in the USA, I don't want or need a green card, when I visit I do not plan on staying more then 1 month at a time.

For the time being my wife is still there until things are arranged with her work and studies and then she will move to the UK and live here with me, but in the mean time I need to be able to visit my wife and afterwards I would like to be able to travel with her to visit her family.

I have many properties here in the UK and business interest and also all my family.

Can anyone please help and advice on why my ESTA has been declined?

And what would be the best way to resolve this issue?

Your help and comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel not authorised under ESTA

It may not be you,everything in the US is computerised and your wife may have made some statement or provided some form of documentation to the some authority(IRS for example) to support her change in circumstances ie name change ,single to married and it may have triggered this notification-speak to her and then contact the US Embassy

Edited: 1:29 pm, July 30, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,210 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel not authorised under ESTA

It's probably been withdrawn because by marrying while on the ESTA they fear you're trying to stay in the US. You'll have to apply for a non-immigrant visa the next time you wish to travel to the US instead of traveling on the Visa Waiver.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,163 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel not authorised under ESTA

< Can anyone please help and advice on why my ESTA has been declined? >

Having an American spouse.

< And what would be the best way to resolve this issue? >

Get a visa

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel not authorised under ESTA

Or a divorce.

vp5
London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel not authorised under ESTA

Thank you. Spoke to her and she hasn't done anything but marriage was registered at the courthouse and they sent the official certificate to us

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel not authorised under ESTA

Only difference or change I know of is that this time I was there, due to unplanned circumstances we got married

===========

I am pretty sure that getting married isn't something thats allowed whilst on an ESTA, or at least not if you actually went over with the intent of getting married, and that almost certainlyw as enough on its own to trigger the revoking.

You'll have to apply for a visa by visiting the US embassy, "prove" you don't intend to live in the USA by taking a whole heap of paperwork with you.

vp5
London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel not authorised under ESTA

seriously would a "divorce" work?

vp5
London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel not authorised under ESTA

Thank you for your help so far everyone. It it a B2 Visa I would need to apply for?

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel not authorised under ESTA

Well you can only try.....

Seriously I think the only way is to apply for the visa.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel not authorised under ESTA

B2 is for pleasure tourism or medical treatment so I assume that will be the one.