We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unconfirmed seats??...codeshare flight long haul

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Unconfirmed seats??...codeshare flight long haul

I booked flights earlier in the year with Delta...(Australia to Las Vegas)...and tried to lock in our preferred seats via their website. Delta was advertising a $9 upgrade to Economy Comfort. Sweet. The website wouldn't let me...so I rang Delta and they explained to me that the flight is codeshared and will be operated by V Australia and that I will have to contact them for assistance regarding seating.

I rang VA and at first they said they didn't have my flights in their system (heart attack!) After tapping away...finally they said...'Oh here it is...how may I help?' I explained how I was just wanting to choose my seats. Guess what she says..."I'm sorry...you will have to ring Delta" (second heart attack!!) I explained I had just spoken to Delta and they couldn't help. Anyways...they tapped away again and asked where I would like to be seated...and I mentioned that Delta had a $9 special for upgraded economy.

I was given seats in Premium Economy. I've checked on www.checkmytrip.com and my seats are saying unconfirmed. I always feel more comfortable knowing what seats I have on long haul flights. Should I ring again to confirm or is this normal?

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Unconfirmed seats??...codeshare flight long haul

Seats are never guaranteed.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
15,257 posts
338 reviews
2. Re: Unconfirmed seats??...codeshare flight long haul

While this won't help you now, a key rule of thumb when booking with any carrier is to really think twice about code shares. Know in advance whose aircraft you are flying and know the parameters of the code share. It's not unusual at all to have more restrictive seating parameters such as inability to reserve seats in advance, etc. I would also rely only on the carrier itself for information on your seats.

Good luck.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Unconfirmed seats??...codeshare flight long haul

Yes, I'm definitely going to investigate who is actually operating flights in future.

I have always been given my chosen seat on previous flights.

I guess this one will be a surprise...hopefully it's good one.

Thank you :)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
55,015 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Unconfirmed seats??...codeshare flight long haul

Just wondering if you asked Delta for the Virgin locator code for your itinerary?

Delta and its partners don't always use the same computer system and sometimes the 2 systems don't talk well to each other. Did you check your trip on the Delta site or on the Virgin site??

I'd get the Virgin code and use the Virgin site to see if they have your seats.

I don't know Virgin's rules about picking seats but if I was unsure I'd call again and speak to someone else or a supervisor. Good luck!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Unconfirmed seats??...codeshare flight long haul

Thanks Riff...I'm able to check my itinerary on Delta's site. Since booking the flights there has been a number of schedule changes which I have been notified about. I do have the code for the Virgin site but it won't let me access it for some reason. When I rang Virgin the only way they could locate my booking was by via my name as the code wouldn't work for them either. We fly in a couple of weeks so I think Flight Panic is starting to set in ...we are nervous flyers...lol.

6. Re: Unconfirmed seats??...codeshare flight long haul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 30, 2014
Get answers to your questions