We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cathay Pacific Business Class - Australia to London

TEWANTIN
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Cathay Pacific Business Class - Australia to London

I'd appreciate any feedback from those who've flown business class Cathay Pacific from Brisbane (or anywhere in Australia) to London recently. What are the facilities like, food, service, seats etc. Thanks!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,342 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class - Australia to London

Not Australia but we flew Cathay Business between London and NZ earlier this year and we thought it was excellent. We had the 'new' seats from LHR to HK and these were superb ( am comparing to BA and Virgin) . HK to AKL were the old style seats so not as good but still acceptable and service, food etc were also excellent.

uk
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class - Australia to London

I've flown Cathay UK - OZ and UK to HK this year and I ma very much a fan of their BC product.

In fact I would go so far as saying it is the best BC product I've flown.

The seat is very good and can't fault the service.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class - Australia to London

You should check out the reviews for Cathay on the same route on the www.airlinequality.com website.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class - Australia to London

I would also check out Singapore Airlines, their Business Class is excellent and they have convenient flight times from London - Brisbane.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class - Australia to London

My brother highly recommends Cathy Pacific business class

Melbourne
Level Contributor
63 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class - Australia to London

Sorry a bit late in responding. Air travel these days is for pleasure rather than business and my wife and I regard Cathay Pacific as our preferred choice to London or Europe out of Melbourne, 2010 and late 2012. We will use them again for travel to London or Europe in 2013. The seat offered in business class is very comfortable, full 180 degree lay back for rest, with each seat having direct aisle access. Meals on board are not large in quantity but quality is very good. We prefer the Asian offerings but that is personal choice. I would be surprised if you are not happy with the on board service.

Business class lounges at HK and Heathrow are well appointed, food and beverages very good, and shower facilities well presented and spotless. We have also flown with Singapore Airlines on the same route and they are also very good. I prefer the smaller aircraft and business class cabin offered by Cathay Pacific but that is a personal view. Some would prefer the A380 aircraft used by SA. Have a look at Skytrax for other views. There are cheaper offerings available for flights to London in business class but you pay for what you get.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class - Australia to London

Well we have just arrived in Sydney from London using BC ON Cathay. We do this trip every year but have never flown with Cathay before. I'm afraid we were very disappointed. The lounges at both Heathrow and Hong Kong are nowhere near as good as others, Heathrow Virgin in particular is miles ahead. In HK the toilets were out of order. The flight from Heathrow to HK was (as the Capt proudly announced) the last time the old 747 would fly the route. Has to be good news for the return! The seats were very narrow, positioned so there was no chance of chatting to your travel companion. The seats I particularly like are those where you and a companion can sit comfortably facing each other to enjoy a meal and glass of wine. I think Virgin and maybe QANTAS have these. The toilets were tiny, no larger than Easyjet. That only matters to me as I am 6ft 3" and need space to change clothes without too many acrobatic contortions. The food was ordinary, overheated and (unlike other airlines) we weren't asked to place our order beforehand but instead we just chose off the trolley. The reading material was sparse and the in flight films were not as current as they should be. The staff were very pleasant and the plane was on time. The flight from HK to Sydney was better in a 330 But the seats although side by side were constructed with such a large partition that conversation was impossible . The food was still overheated (the brunch was about the same texture and content as that served on a package holiday flight. Grim. ) and my meal was served literally 20 mins later than my wife's so any semblance of "togetherness" was impossible, there seemed to be only one trolley for each course. The toilets were still Easyjet size, compare these to Singapore's comfortably sized loos. The toilet seat was defective and kept closing when you had a pee!! The reading material was just as sparse. The staff were pleasant and the plane was on time again. Sorry Cathay, unless you can be much more impressive on the return leg I'm not choosing you again!

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class - Australia to London

Qatar's always worth a look too. Their new BC is very good (but still being rolled out). QR BC can be a comparable price to BA premium economy when on sale (for me - was from HKG with 1 stop).

Edited: 6:05 pm, January 01, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class - Australia to London

We recently travelled MEL-CDG (via HKG) on Cathay’s new business class and thought it was the best we’d ever experienced. The new business class seats have been very well designed and make the most of their available space. Being seated two together in the centre (both with aisle access) was fine. The seats are designed that, at the press of a button, you can move forward to chat with your companion or move back into the more enclosed section for privacy. The seats are fully flat and are well designed for sleeping.

By comparison, we flew home MXP-MEL on Singapore Airlines – again in business class. Although the Singapore seats are considerably wider, they offer less in ergonomic design and comfort. Where the Cathay seats recline to fully flat by button operation, on Singapore you have to stand up, fold the back-rest of the seat forward to reveal the ‘bed’. Which I understand is no biggie in the grand scheme of things, but the Cathay seat operation is more convenient. By the way, on Singapore, the ‘bed’ comes already fitted with a quilt and sheet – which is a nice touch.

We did note that, unlike Qantas and a couple of other airlines, neither Cathay Pacific nor Singapore Airlines provided pyjamas. Again, no deal-breaker, but they have been very much appreciated when offered on Qantas.

The Cathay Pacific new business class seat also stacks up quite well against the Qantas sky bed II, which also provides fully flat comfort. The down-side for Qantas, here, is that the business class configurations we’ve encountered on this airline have been 2 – 3 – 2, meaning that not all seats have direct aisle access.

So, overall, if I had to choose one from my experience, my vote would go for the Cathay Pacific product.

However I would echo the suggestion of a previous poster and check out Qatar too. I’ve had no personal first-hand experience with their business class, but reviews I’ve read have all been very favourable.

10. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class - Australia to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 03, 2015