We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't Book Orbitz!!

Beamsville, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Don't Book Orbitz!!

My email to Orbitz below.. Seems to be a massive leak in their online security!!

DON'T BOOK ORBITZ!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys

Just wanted to send a quick message that I believe your website may have some security issues.

Over the past 8 years I have been booking flights around the world, ordering numerous items online and have NEVER run into any credit card fraud. However, I've now become another victim.

I had not used Orbitz but had usually preferred to use Kayak.com due to better pricing. I however had become skeptical on a few of the 3rd party sites that Kayak.com was directing to, and read up on numerous great reviews on Ortbiz.com so I thought I couldn't go wrong.. But hindsight is funny like that isnt it?

After completing my first booking with orbitz within less than 12 hours my VISA card unbeknowns to me was being used to fraudlenty purchase flights and rail tickets. You'll likely tell me this is a mere coincidence, but I don't think so. As I mentioned I use my VISA a lot and have NEVER run into this before and the fact that the fraudulent activity was immediately after my booking, and was for travel arrangements? To much of a coincidence for me to ignore.

I'm very unimpressed, and can tell you now that the trouble I've had to go through getting police reports etc to recoup my money I'll never be using Orbitz again.

Thanks for your time.

Tim

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't Book Orbitz!!

Book direct with the airline next time;-)

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't Book Orbitz!!

Massive leak? You have evidence that this occurred with numerous others? You really think other sites have leakproof sites? Well, it's your money. BTW, you've told Orbitz you'll never use them again, so there's hardly an incentive for them to respond (if that's what you wanted).

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't Book Orbitz!!

yes, well I don't even have a itunes account and my card was used to purchase many thousands of dollars worth of stuff from them..

who knows how 'they' get hold of CC details.

could (most likely is) be all a coincidence.

Beamsville, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't Book Orbitz!!

Yeah def will be booking direct next time. Have never had any issues before but as I mentioned kayak.com has numerous shady 3rd parties hence why I went with orbitz

And not looking for anything from orbitz as the likelihood of them doing anything? None.

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't Book Orbitz!!

Maybe it has nothing to do with Orbitz, an unsecured line. Can happen any time you go online and enter secure info, yes even when booking directly with the airlines. I would look to the credit card co to resolve not Orbitz. I use Expedia ALL the time, never had a problem.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,279 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't Book Orbitz!!

These days hackers are breaking all kind of codes and yes as posted book with the airlines directly i always do.

Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
568 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't Book Orbitz!!

A few years ago someone was buying airline tickets in Ireland with my MasterCard ####. I had never been to Ireland, never bought an airline ticket. Not a 'massive' security breach. CC company caught and stopped it, no loss to me. Stuff happens.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't Book Orbitz!!

Feel sorry for you Timmy - but yet another good reason for people to do research before booking on third party websites.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't Book Orbitz!!

Don't blame Orbitz.... I just got a call yesterday from my Credit Card provider that someone tried to buy a bike at a bike shop in the Netherlands and attempted to use my card again in a pub. Three months ago, a different card of mine was compromised and someone was using the numbers at Walmart in Indiana.

Hackers have programs that generate 16 digit numbers in a sequence. Then the hackers start using those numbers until they find one that works.

Be careful and book directly with the airlines - but the problem is not directly related to Orbitz.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't Book Orbitz!!

In the last two years, I've had three different credit cards used fraudulently (or attempts made). Luckily for me, my CC issuers stopped or reversed any charges. I had not booked any airline tickets, and I only use my cards on supposedly secure sites. One card I rarely used, but my husband used it (joint account) for gas purchases. One I had saved on my Amazon account.

One of the CC security personnel I discussed this (after one of these events) with said that often, the card # was compromised several months before attempts are made to use it. Interestingly, two of the foiled purchase attempts (different cards, year or more apart) were attempted in Tucson, AZ.

Who knows where or when the breach of security occurred? Most likely, only the perpetrators. We usually blame the most recent (and largest) online purchase, like airline tickets, but that use was not necessarily where the card was compromised.