We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysia airlines/klm/emirates

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Malaysia airlines/klm/emirates

Hi,

Looking at flights birmingham to penang. The first leg of the flight is birmingham to amsterdam by KLM and the next two flights are malaysian airlines. I am trying to find out whether luggage will be tagged to penang from birmingham airport or will we require to collect baggage and check in again at amsterdam airport?

Does anyone know whether the two airlines codeshare? Also does anyone recommend flying with MAS over Emirates? Only slight advantage at the minute is luggage with EK is 30kg but only 20kg with MAS!

Thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaysia airlines/klm/emirates

You also get 30 kg baggage allowance on MAS.

malaysiaairlines.com/hq/…checked-baggage.html

If you are flying on one through ticket your baggage should checked in to final destination.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaysia airlines/klm/emirates

Thanks so much!!!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaysia airlines/klm/emirates

Another thing will my baggage be subjected to the MAS allowance or KLM as KLM is slightly less?

Thanks

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,680 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaysia airlines/klm/emirates

i have just checked this out but flying from norwich. i was told we could only have 15kg! that is the limit for klm on european flights. :(

not doing it. so there.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaysia airlines/klm/emirates

Where are u flying to?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaysia airlines/klm/emirates

If you're only flying Economy, it's a much of a muchness, but if you're flying business or first, definitely go with emirates.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaysia airlines/klm/emirates

Used all three to fly back and forth to Malaysia and my preferred choice would be Emirates.

Im assuming your flying economy as you ask about the luggage allowance (Same allowance now for EK and MAS), EK (Emirates )has the best in flight entertainment and food (even if its airline food) is better than MAS (Malaysia) IMO and you will check in at Birmingham and luggage will go through to KL. With a change of plane at Dubai. However you will have to book another flight up to Penang (either with MAS or Air Asia) this is easy to do plenty flights out of KLIA (main airport) and not expensive But it depends on if that matters to you along with price.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaysia airlines/klm/emirates

Forgot to add the seating is much of an muchness, unless your on the 380 with EK which I find a little hard but a quiet plane.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,513 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaysia airlines/klm/emirates

I like both Malaysia and Emirates so my choice would be based on price/schedule.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaysia airlines/klm/emirates

The attractive option with MAS is luggage will be tagged all the way to penang. With emirates i will have to clear immigration, collect baggage n check in again with air asia as is cheaper... Also, as i would prefer going from Birmingham as i live very near to the airport the first leg of flight is bhx to ams on klm, then with MAS to KUL and then to pen. If i went from LHR then flight direct to KUL and then PEN. However that would mean getting a lift and it being a three hour drive to LHR which i dont really want to do!

I just dont know when checking into the KLM bhx-ams flight whether my baggage allowance will be 23kg or MAS 30kg? Would it also affect allowance on the way back?