We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct/3rd party differences in ticket prices

Plaisance-du-Touch...
Level Contributor
150 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Direct/3rd party differences in ticket prices

Hi,

We're planning a holiday in the States in July next year and I'm browsing for tickets but I'm a novice at finding my way through the pricing jungle.

On the TripAdvisor flight forum, tickets are only available to the end of May at present (through third parties such as ebookers) but are cheaper than the same tickets booked directly from the airline (e.g. Lufthansa) for the same dates.

However, Lufthansa is already selling tickets through to July.

Does this mean that my best policy is to wait until ebookers and similar sites start selling tickets for July? Am I sure of a better price than buying direct?

Thanks very much

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Direct/3rd party differences in ticket prices

Booking direct with the airline will likely cause you less risks of problems.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Direct/3rd party differences in ticket prices

On the TripAdvisor flight forum, tickets are only available to the end of May at present>>

There are some adverts on these pages. There may be, via those adverts, some tickets advertised for sale, but you most certainly cannot trust that because a third party ADVERTISES a cheaper ticket than is shown on an airline website, that price is actually AVAILABLE.

Its not just about price. As many have discovered to their cost when they just picked the APPARENTLY cheapest. try this thread as an example of possible issues with third parties tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k57861…

These comments may not apply to ebookers, maybe they are reputable, but with the best will in the world, when issues arise, which may not be of your own making, you dont want a third party in the way. You should also wait for a sale from Lufthansa (if that is your chosen airline) there is a long time until next July, seats when first released, are often most expensive.

And lastly check your have your visa or ESTA set before purchasing flights to the USA.

Plaisance-du-Touch...
Level Contributor
150 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Direct/3rd party differences in ticket prices

Thanks for the tips. I'll bear them in mind.

One important point : do you need to have your visa and everything BEFORE buying a ticket ?

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Direct/3rd party differences in ticket prices

You need your Esta before travel.However,if you buy your ticket first,and your esta is refused,you have problems.

Plaisance-du-Touch...
Level Contributor
150 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Direct/3rd party differences in ticket prices

OK. Thanks

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Direct/3rd party differences in ticket prices

I am looking at tickets ORD-LHR or AMS

I recently saw a 3rd party fare of $570 on BA when BAs own website had the same ticket for $1010

I don't remember which 3rd party site it was but I didn't even bother to click on it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Direct/3rd party differences in ticket prices

I'm sure the small print would have been interesting. Probably something on the lines of "Typical fare in the last year between these airports. Or airports close to these airports. Or in the same country/continent as these airports. You will know the final price once we've taken your money and tried to book a ticket. You'll have the right to refuse if you feel the price is too high, and we'll refund your money sometime in the next two years. Less an admin charge which we'll decide at the time"

8. Re: Direct/3rd party differences in ticket prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 25, 2014