We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Claiming Departure Taxes

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Claiming Departure Taxes

I had reason to cancel a number of international flights for my son who had to undergo an operation. The flights included departure points from Australia, Thailand, Vietnam and Hong Kong. I purchased this trip for him from Zuji which most people would know its parent company as Travelocity. I appreciate under the terms and conditions that I have no grounds to claim the fare but would like to know if I have a right to a refund of the departure taxes.

I’m not really getting anywhere with Zuji so hope someone here can guide me in the right direction.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Claiming Departure Taxes

would like to know if I have a right to a refund of the departure taxes.

--------

"It depends"

Firstly, what do Zujis ts&cs say about refunds in the event of voluntary cancellation?

Secondly, what does each individual airlines ts&cs say ? Some may allow, some may not, and some may allow but have an admin charge that all but cancels out any refund.

Lastly, was your son covered by any kind of insurance that would provide a full refund?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,097 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Claiming Departure Taxes

Always buy travel insurance that meets your coverage needs. I was supposed to be on a business trip last month that was canceled due to my sales colleague having an emergency medical condition. Since I booked on the same booking as his, we claimed back our full flight costs, taxes included.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Claiming Departure Taxes

Thanks for the replies.

I did have travel insurance however it was a pre-existing condition that the operation was for.

I have accepted that I have no claim to the fare however I was hoping to get at least the departure taxes back.

Thanks again

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Claiming Departure Taxes

The only way you might be able to do so is to speak to the airline directly and see if they have a provision that based on medical reasons you could get some sort of refund, even for the taxes.

Otherwise you will struggle to get anything back, even the taxes I am afraid.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Claiming Departure Taxes

Departure Tax is a government tax that has to be collected by the airline and paid to the government....if you do not travel they have to refund it....having said that the airline are also permitted to charge a refund fee, which is what they normally do in which case you get nothing......

A lot of airlines will refund your entire fare under their "Compassion" policy on production of a medical certificate (some of them are still human) so ring them first find out what you can get back and tell Zuji the outcome. Zuji may then decide to take a chunk of it but no harm in trying

6. Re: Claiming Departure Taxes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, July 22, 2013
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Claiming Departure Taxes

Even if I could understand this gibberish I am sure it has nothing to do with the OP.

8. Re: Claiming Departure Taxes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, July 24, 2014