We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large soft toy as cabin bagage?

auckland
Level Contributor
225 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Large soft toy as cabin bagage?

Any idea if a very large - 3foot - mickey mouse soft toy would be allowed as cabin bagage for my daughter on an international flight - Virgin Australia from Los Angeles to Sydney?

Wanting to know before I allow my daughter to buy it!

thanks

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Large soft toy as cabin bagage?

depends how squishy it is I suppose.

but think cabin crew, particularly on VA (they are usually young and hip) might be a bit sympathetic.

they might even 'store' it for her instead on consigning it to an overhead.

I would take the risk....am sure it wont be the first one to come aboard at Los Angeles.

(u could also look at one of those vacuum bags that suck the air out of everything....depends how traumatized your daughter might be by a flat mickey)

Edited: 8:01 pm, July 18, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Large soft toy as cabin bagage?

I would agree with lien but take along a garbage bag and some tape just in case Mickey gets consigned to the hold with the other furry friends. Wouldn't want him to get ripped or dirty.

Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Large soft toy as cabin bagage?

There is one thing to think about. I brought smaller twelve inch Mickey and Minnie plush toys from Disneyland Hong Kong and I faced a lot of scrutiny at the security scanners at Hong Kong Airport. I had never thought about knives, weapons or other things that could be hidden inside. I was let through with them after some thorough checking. This was probably 5 years ago.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Large soft toy as cabin bagage?

I don't think a 3ft. Mickey Mouse toy fits within the size limits for cabin baggage..........on any airline.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,842 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Large soft toy as cabin bagage?

Where exactly does she expect to keep this Mickey while on the plane? It won't fit in the overhead, or under the seat, and it won't fit on her lap either.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,322 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Large soft toy as cabin bagage?

Brought one back from Tokyo Disneyland in January - admittedly was Qantas - but the crew were more than happy for my daughter to cuddle it in her lap to Sydney.

Sound advice from lien and eva, take a bag just incase. But it squishes comfortably into the overhead, where we stored it when dining and asleep. (Or if you don't want to take a bag, they have shopping bags big enough to fit)

Edited: 11:26 pm, July 18, 2013
@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Large soft toy as cabin bagage?

**** Where exactly does she expect to keep this Mickey while on the plane? It won't fit in the overhead, or under the seat, and it won't fit on her lap either. ****

Put it in a pillowcase and call it a pillow?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,951 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Large soft toy as cabin bagage?

Years ago I was flying back from Orlando on Continental. My 4 year old daughter had won a huge Bugs Bunny (it was about four feet tall) and when we got on the plane the FA said she would take care care of it. She strapped it into an empty business class seat up front an my daughter was really happy with that. I wish I had though of buying a Bugs Bunny outfit LOL!!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Large soft toy as cabin bagage?

You didn't ask to swap seats so Bugs could sit with your daughter??? ;-)

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Large soft toy as cabin bagage?

We were flying business class but my son bought back a 4ft wooden giraffe from Kenya which was stored in the wardrobe.