We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa to Air asia at Changi. How long to allow?

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Lufthansa to Air asia at Changi. How long to allow?

We are flying into SIN on either Lufthansa/Swiss from BHX and then out again to DPS on Air Asia.

I have bought the SIN-DPS leg as they were a good price, and now I'm fitting the long haul element around them.

How long should I allow to clear immigration and then check in again to continue my journey? If work commitments allow it I'll probably break the journey with an overnighter in the city, but if it's straight through I want to make sure I allow enough time not to be stressed.

The Swiss option allows four hours and the Lufthansa gives me just over five.

Thanks for your assistance, much appreciated!

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lufthansa to Air asia at Changi. How long to allow?

Either Swiss (4hrs) or Luft (5hrs) is more than enough at SIN. In my 6 times through SIN this year, i have never taken more than 40 minutes from deplaning to exiting with luggage.

Therefore (unless your first flight is delayed), either airline would be fine

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lufthansa to Air asia at Changi. How long to allow?

It's always a risk booking seperate tickets as you will have to buy a new ticket if for some reason you don't make the connecting flight. An overnight stay would definitely be better but if it isn't possible then I would go with the longer connection as it gives you more of a cushion if your incoming flight is late.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lufthansa to Air asia at Changi. How long to allow?

Singapore is easy to get through immigration.... Normally. I arrived at 1am this morning at terminal 1. They are renovating and only 5 immigration bays were open. 4 to 5 hrs is still plenty but just be aware that getting through immigration will taken longer (for those with pr or employment only 2 kiosks were available

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lufthansa to Air asia at Changi. How long to allow?

I have a similar case - arriving from Frankfurt on Lufthansa flight at 15:55 and planning to go to Kota Kinabalu on AirAsia flight @17:40. The gap of 1:45 is a bit tight. I've called AirAsia and they advise against such a connection, apparently they close check-in 45 min before departure, which leaves an hour for getting off the plane, getting the luggage, customs & border control, moving between terminals... Our travel agent disagrees. We might play it safe and spend a night in Singapore.

But you are in a better situation, so it should be fine. Singapore airport is normally well organised and efficient.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lufthansa to Air asia at Changi. How long to allow?

"Connecting" on separate tickets is always risky. If you miss the onward flight you lose the ticket as a no show and have to buy a new one at the walk up fare**.

kdvO9, your travel agent needs a kicking. 1hr45 is way too tight, and that's assuming an ontime arrival.

You both need to consider the question "if my inbound flight is badly delayed or canceled, how else can I make it to point B to make the onward flight?"

With a (once daily?) long haul on LH I'd put a full 24 hours plus some more between flights (assume the first flight is delayed by 24 hours). That doesn't eliminate the risk but drastically reduces it. Of course it's even more important on the return, where the risk is having to buy a last minute one way ticket back to FRA.

The other thing to do is to get a good travel insurance policy that covers "missed onward travel". But even with that policy they usually only pay out if the inbound flight is delayed by more than 3 hours, plus they expect that you've allowed enough time to make the onward travel. So I'd still be looking at 5.5-6 hours between flights (3 hours for the delay plus 2.5-3 hours' reasonable transfer time).

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,151 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lufthansa to Air asia at Changi. How long to allow?

Since you itinerary is not protected, no time is enough if your flight is delayed massively or even canceled. 4-5 hours are quite a bit already so normally, you just have to keep your fingers crossed.

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lufthansa to Air asia at Changi. How long to allow?

We went for the safest option in the end. A full 28 hours outbound and three days on the way back. Hello Singapore!!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lufthansa to Air asia at Changi. How long to allow?

Smart move kduk. Have a good trip.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,040 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lufthansa to Air asia at Changi. How long to allow?

Not only the safest, but the most fun.

Get onto the Singapore forum and you'll find there's a lot more to the Lion City than shopping malls and fabulous food.

Have a great holiday.

Did I mention the amazing food?

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lufthansa to Air asia at Changi. How long to allow?

It's all about the food! They're going to need to roll me onto my inbound bhx flight I'll have eaten so much!