We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train between LHR & LGW?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Train between LHR & LGW?

Isn't there a train connection between London Heathrow & London Gatwick for passengers connecting from BA flights that are booked together by British Air?

My BA flight from Berlin arrives at LHR @ 13:20 AND connects with my onward flight to Edinburgh departing from LGW @ 16:50. What's the best way to make the transfer with our luggage?

Thx, so much!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train between LHR & LGW?

CCJeffries,

If you haven't yet ticketed those flights please think again. There is no direct rail link between LHR and LGW. The transfer is by National Express coach (£25pp) or private minicab (£80), and it's around the M25 which is notorious for traffic snarl ups. A delayed inbound flight and/or a traffic delay puts your connection at risk.

If you have to fly BA, book a connection to EDI from Heathrow. A better option to consider is EasyJet non stop to EDI from Berlin Schonefeld.

Edited: 10:41 pm, July 14, 2013
2. Re: Train between LHR & LGW?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 am, July 15, 2013
UK
Level Contributor
5,633 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train between LHR & LGW?

Was this booked as one tickeet or two? If it's one ticket you're protected (i.e., they'll just put you on the next flight if you miss your connection), so I wouldn't worry too much in that case.

uk
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train between LHR & LGW?

^^^^^That may be true but remember it is the next flight with availability - they won't bump somebody off a full flight to get you on the next one.

As USBT mentions - it is a huge pain in the proverbial to transfer between LHR and LGW, I really dislike the fact the BA sell these are connecting tickets and would also urge you to look for alternatives if possible.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,094 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train between LHR & LGW?

They won't put you on the next flight at all. They sell these as legal connections so unless your inbound from Berlin is late it is your responsibility to get from LHR to LGW on time. They won't take excuses about traffic delays etc.

Probably you were sold this connection as it was cheaper. Go back to BA and see if they will change it. There are six more flights to EDI from LHR after yours gets in so really it is ridiculous to make you change airports.

Of course possibly this is your own fault if you just wanted cheaper but did not take into account the hassle or extra expense of getting between airports. At least they didn't make you fly from London City.

Unless this is part of an itinerary that would mean that if you missed a sector then they would cancel the rest of your flights then ditch at least the LGW and find alternatives.

As said flying direct to EDI on Easyjet although they only fly three days per week although they also fly to Glasgow four days per week so you could just fly there and take the bus/train to Edinburgh.

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train between LHR & LGW?

I tried to find a timetable for the HLR - LGW coach service, but without success.

However, TA has a page giving advice on this transfer :

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c6797/Londo…

It advises a minimum of three hours, plus extra if travelling by coach, plus an extra hour for Monday mornings/Friday evenings.

It also points out that if you're arriving at terminals 1,2 or 3 there's a 15 minute walk to the Central Bus Terminal, though that shouldn't be the case here.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,996 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train between LHR & LGW?

Timetable and fares for the National Express coach service (under airports):

nationalexpress.com/wherewego/…index.aspx

Given your connection is tight I would consider booking a car service or better, switching the EDI flight to one from LHR. Any extra cost is almost certainly offset by the cost of transferring between airports, to say nothing of the stress.

Edited: 8:49 am, July 15, 2013
London
Level Contributor
751 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train between LHR & LGW?

This is far too tight.

Average journey times from the route planners between LHR and LGW are:

Train - 1hr 45

National express coach - 75-90mins

Car (AA route planner) - 60mins

Factoring time taken for immigration and luggage pick up from LHR, then checking in at LGW it is cutting it very fine.

If you HAVE to do this then arrange a private car and pay them shed loads to bomb it down the motorway. At least in car you try and avoid traffic if motorway gets jammed up.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train between LHR & LGW?

OP, who sold you this stinker of a connection? At the very least you need to have a few stern words and slap them around the chops with an Arbroath Smokie.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,632 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train between LHR & LGW?

<I tried to find a timetable for the HLR - LGW coach service, but without success>

It is on the websites of both LHR & LGW