We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China Southern Baggage Allowance - 46kg for economy???

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
China Southern Baggage Allowance - 46kg for economy???

Hi all

Has anyone flown China Southern recently?

I was looking at their website (http://www.csair.com/en/order/kpxlgd.shtml) and it says that economy class tickets are allowed to bring in two 23kg check-in luggages. That is a whopping 46kg.

It is great if it is true as I'm planning to fly from Australia to Korea using them. Not worrying about the luggage limits would help heaps. Although I'm struggling to believe it as it is normally 23kg total maximum for some of the other airlines.

Would anyone have experiences with their luggage limits and checking in up to this 46kg?? Is this right or have I read it wrongly?

Cheers!

Brendan

87 replies to this topic
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: China Southern Baggage Allowance - 46kg for economy???

I checked the website. Info seems to be correct for international flights. I used a TABLE. But there MAY be exceptions if flight is code share:

csair.com/en/…free.shtml

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: China Southern Baggage Allowance - 46kg for economy???

Looks like all flights departing and arriving Australia get the 2x23kg allowance. Wonder if this includes to Korea?

London, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: China Southern Baggage Allowance - 46kg for economy???

I am confused about this. Looking at flight from London to Manila. probably via Amsterdam and some place in China. If it is 2 pieces of 20kgs each. i think I would go with them instead of Emirates ( 30kg allowance) via Dubai.

I prefer a northern route as normally get less `air turbulence` .Last time went via Amsterdam to Manila on KLM. So smooth. Best ever flight!!

england
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: China Southern Baggage Allowance - 46kg for economy???

Hi does anyone know the economy class free check in baggage allowance for china southern route heathrow to auckland

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: China Southern Baggage Allowance - 46kg for economy???

Rodgelodge

You might be lucky. China Southern fly direct from LHR to CAN. Cuts out a stop.

Regards

Jim

Northampton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: China Southern Baggage Allowance - 46kg for economy???

I am hoping to fly from London (Heathrow) to Sydney (Kingsford Smith) on 12th December and returning on 30th January. Am I to understand that I can take hold luggage at 30kg and carry on luggage at 23kg? Or is this to be two items (1 Hold) and (1 Cabin) both at a maximum of 23kg?

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: China Southern Baggage Allowance - 46kg for economy???

I have not heard of any airline that would accept 46kg free baggage allowance for economy class. Looking at your link it basically means; 2 pieces totalling 23kg OR 1 piece of 23kg only. I do admit the way it's written is slightly confusing. Hope this helps.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: China Southern Baggage Allowance - 46kg for economy???

Hello,

I bought economy tickets to fly to LHR May-2014 with CZ thru a travel agent in Melbourne (nothing special) and the eticket printed Baggage Allowance 2PC.

On CS web page international flights to/from Australia free baggage allowance 2x23KG, carry on luggage 1 <5KG

…csair.com/aus/…free.shtml

Type of passengers

Adult/child/infant with a seat

Infant without a seat

Class of service Economy class All classes

Pieces & weight Dimensions Pieces & weight Dimensions

Zone 1 2 pieces, 23 kg/piece L+W+H ≤ 158 cm/piece 1 pieces, 10 kg/piece L+W+H ≤ 115 cm/piece

Zone 2 1 pieces, 32 kg/piece L+W+H ≤ 158 cm/piece 1 pieces, 10 kg/piece L+W+H ≤ 115 cm/piece

Zone 3 1 pieces, 23 kg/piece L+W+H ≤ 158 cm/piece 1 pieces, 10 kg/piece L+W+H ≤ 115 cm/piece

NOTE:The definition of MSC in baggage transportation will comply with relevant IATA resolutions.

Zone 1: Flights to and from Japan, America, Australia, New Zealand, Russia (Note 1) and Dubai

Zone 2: Flights to and from Central and West Asia (Note 2)

Zone 3: International and regional flights except for those to and from Japan, America, Australia, New Zealand, Russia (Note 1), Dubai, and Central and West Asia (Note 2)

Note 1: Russia Routes refer to the air lines between China and Russia (including part of Europe and Asia).

Note 2: Central and West Asia routes refer to the air lines between China and Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Iran, Pakistan, Azerbaijan as well as Georgia.

…csair.com/aus/…rules.shtml

Carry-on Items

Each first class passenger can carry on two pieces of baggage (each baggage is no more than 5 kg); each passenger of business class, Economy Plus class or economy class can carry on one baggage (no more than 5 kg).

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: China Southern Baggage Allowance - 46kg for economy???

You can disregard the 2x23kg on their website, it is merely a typo on their part. It was meant to state 2pc totalling 23kg, we arrre talking about "CHINA" southern here so I wouldn't expect top notch translation.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
197 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: China Southern Baggage Allowance - 46kg for economy???

I have flown China Southern, Perth to CAN to CDG. My baggage allowance was 26kg on China Southern, CAN to CDG was code share with Air France. On return at CDG with Air France the lady at check in disputed the 26kg, told me it was 23kg on Air France and I moved a few items around from hold to hand luggage, Many Asian passengers were sent to one side to remove items from hold luggage. If your flight is all the way through with Southern China 26kg will be alright. If you change in CAN for Korea flight to a code share airline check the allowance for your return trip.

Reply to: China Southern Baggage Allowance - 46kg for economy???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted