We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long wait at Heathrow (T3)

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Long wait at Heathrow (T3)

Next month I have a flight out of Heathrow T3 at 11.30am. Due to where I live, I'm going to have to travel down the night before. The latest I'm going to be able to arrive is about 3am - 8 and a half hours before my flight. Is this too long to be hanging around? What time will I be able to start checking in?

I'm basically trying to work out if waiting in the airport for that long is a realistic option, or if I need to be booking a hotel instead.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,323 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long wait at Heathrow (T3)

Heathrow terminals are open overnight but not staffed. Check-in will probably open around 90mins-2hrs before the airline's first flight.

For 11.30am I'd certainly look at a hotel. Either through Priceline bidding, HolidayExtras, or something similar you shouldn't spend more than about £80. Hotels on the Bath Road are going to be most convenient for Terminal 3.

Edited: 2:31 pm, July 10, 2013
West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Long wait at Heathrow (T3)

Thanks. This might be a daft question, but if I was to book a hotel on Bath Road, how can I get there arriving by public transport late at night?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,332 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long wait at Heathrow (T3)

There are local buses that run 24h to and from the airport's Central Bus Station and Bath Road hotels. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…heathrow.pdf

If you can travel from York a bit earlier, consider staying at one of the inexpensive hotels near Hounslow Central Underground station, the (new) Travelodge in Lampton Road or the Etap near Bell Corner. Rooms should be available from about £30 depending on your travel date.

Unless you've booked to fly in First or Business, check in won't be available until three hours before flight departure time for long haul and two hours before departure for short haul flights.

Penryn, United...
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long wait at Heathrow (T3)

travelodge terminal 5

they operate a shuttle bus between the hotel and the terminal for £4 then use the free shuttle to get to your terminal

i managed to get a hotel for £27 for the night

was in same prediciment as you

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,323 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long wait at Heathrow (T3)

travelodge terminal 5

they operate a shuttle bus between the hotel and the terminal for £4 then use the free shuttle to get to your terminal

The Travelodge have a shuttle? The only hotel that is allowed to operate their own shuttle is the Hilton Terminal 4 between their property and Terminal 5. (I don't know why they get a pass)

All the other Heathrow hotels use the Hotel Hoppa which is run by the airport. It should take you directly to the terminal you fly from. What do you mean by "they have a shuttle to the terminal for £4 and then take the free shuttle to the terminal"??

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long wait at Heathrow (T3)

Terminal 4 has a Yotel which is right in the terminal. My daughter stayed there when she had an early morning flight and I thought the single rooms looked comfortable and had a certain 21st century charm.

The price was very reasonable and avoided her having to think about how to get to the airport in the morning.

It seems to me that if you need to stay at the airport, you might at well stay AT the airport. There is also a much more expensive hotel in terminal 5.

The internal shuttle and/or the tube gets you fairly easily between terminals.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long wait at Heathrow (T3)

I had a 12 hour layover at Heathrow last month and stayed at the Yotel. Very reasonably priced and right at the airport itself, so it was easy to get around using the free shuttles. Not sure if the shuttles will be operating at 3:00 a.m., however.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Long wait at Heathrow (T3)

Thanks for the responses guys, all really helpful.

I had looked at the Yotel - it looks like a good idea but is coming up as pretty expensive compared to other hotel options. I know it has the advantage of being right in the terminal but it's look like quite a pricey option at the moment.

I had also looked at the Travelodge T5, as I can get a very cheap room there. However, having looked at their website, although it's called the Terminal 5 travelodge, it looks like it's actually 2 miles from terminal 5, and is served by the hoppa bus. Chances are the earliest I'll be able to arrive is around midnight, at which time I believe the hoppa isn't operating, so I'm not sure how I could get there.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Long wait at Heathrow (T3)

TravellerPlus - thanks, that links really helpful and may be just the answer I'm looking for!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,332 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long wait at Heathrow (T3)

I did not consider the Yotel or the T5 TL, as reaching either from the Central Bus Station will be a pain if you arrive after 2200.

You'll miss the last free HEX shuttle from Heathrow Central to T5 or T4; the 441 bus runs from the Central Bus Station to T5 but the last bus departs at 2215 - and from T5 you would *still* have to take a taxi to the TL on the other side of the M25.

The 105, 111 and 140 along Bath Road are the cheapest ways to travel from the Central Bus Station to Bath Road hotels. The last two 555s from the Central Bus Station to T4 depart at 2110 and 2210. The last Piccadilly line train from T1,3 departs at 0022, arriving at Hounslow Central at 0031 if you would like to stay at the TL near the station. If you do decide to give it a go, the walk from station to hotel shouldn't take more than two minutes, if that long.