We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiji Airways delaying flights????

Honiara
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Fiji Airways delaying flights????

Over last weekend July 7 we had extreme difficulties getting out of Fiji due to Fiji Airways not being able to effectively service their routes.

I wonder how many others were affected, in the 28 hours I was forced to wait at the airport I saw several flights delayed cancelled or downgraded causing a lot of people to be bumped.

Not so sure I will ever fly Fiji Airways again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiji Airways delaying flights????

What was the reason given for the delay? Was it weather related?

Air stats show them as having a 75 percent on time departure record, so they are pretty much in the norm corridor overall.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiji Airways delaying flights????

We flew out on the 10th to Brisbane and they downgraded their new wide body to a 737 so were asking for volunteers to offload and travel today via Sydney. No reason was given - I guess it could have been mechanical problems or simply not selling enough seats to fill the new, larger plane. Depends on how cynical you are (and tbh I can be as cynical as the next man). As they had to reseat everyone they ended up splitting our family of 4. I would have complained but I felt sorry for the poor girl on the desk and considering they only had about 2 (plus 1 business) checkin desks open the whole thing was complete chaos. I just wanted to get home....

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiji Airways delaying flights????

I'm wondering why they didn't put you up in a hotel as this would be the normal practice for a delayed or cancelled flight. what reason did they give?

Melbourne
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiji Airways delaying flights????

Hi,

Fiji Airways still seem having issues to service their routes... I got a call yesterday that our flight on Sunday 4th August is overbooked with almost 80 passengers because they had to downgrade the airplane (A380 vs. Boeing 747 on the route Melbourne - Nadi). They asked me to change my flights to the day before or after but since we are going as a group for a wedding and some of us are just arriving in Melbourne on Sunday morning there is not much room for us to move anything. The lady on the phone got quite grumpy in the end and just said that if they cannot find enough people to change their flights they would have to do "first come, first serve" at the check-in counter on the day. I'm very concerned now that we will end up being bumped off and won't get to Fiji on time. Does anyone have any advice/experiences - would be much appreciated...

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,346 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiji Airways delaying flights????

"A380 vs. Boeing 747 on the route Melbourne - Nadi"

---

Do Fiji Airways have any A380's?

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiji Airways delaying flights????

Do Fiji Airways have any A380's?

No,but Qantas do.Codeshare perhaps?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,322 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fiji Airways delaying flights????

I think the only time an A380 has landed in Nadi was when a Qantas one was diverted there.

Wellington
Level Contributor
350 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fiji Airways delaying flights????

Maybe it should have read "A330".

I've been on their new A330. Nice. Seats a bit firm. It was probably only 30% full. Great price.

At the time I was wondering how long they'd be able to maintain that, if the observed load was typical.

VFT
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fiji Airways delaying flights????

Just came back from a trip to Fiji (late August 2013) and flew two legs with Fiji Airways.

Brisbane -> Fiji: Flight was delayed from boarding by 30 mins, no reason given.

Fiji-> Sydney: Flight was delayed by an hour due to "operational reasons" and therefore missed our connecting flight.

Given the queues at the airline checkin counter at 90 mins prior to departure (technically when checkin closes), it doesn't surprise me that the airline runs late. I would be surprised if their on time departure performance is so high!

Just be mindful that Fiji airways is on Fiji time, their saving grace is that they re-booked me on the next connecting flight out of Sydney without the need to request/complain.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fiji Airways delaying flights????

My mum and I are flying Sydney to Fiji with Fiji Airlines in October - should I have cause to worry?