We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying air tickets from outside of the country of origin

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Buying air tickets from outside of the country of origin

I've read that people buy business class tickets from outside their country of origin for travelling to other places, eg I live in Melbourne, but buying a return ticket from MEL-SIN return but the SIN-LHR-SIN part is bought in Singapore or through a Singapore based site, agent, online gaining huge savings in cost?

I'm not sure if you can do the whole trip like this, ie buying the ticket from an overseas company for MEL-LHR-MEL via SIN.

Its almost criminal the amount of money that we pay here in Australia to get to the UK, whereas coming from the UK is far cheaper. I know the cost for business class from any Asian hub is thousands cheaper than from Australia.

Wanting any ideas about getting tickets like this?

Many thanks

Lisa :^)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying air tickets from outside of the country of origin

Thousands cheaper?? Well Asia is half way to Europe which explains some of the Savings.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying air tickets from outside of the country of origin

just checked - the difference with Emirates - 999 return - business class between flying from Australia to flying from Singapore - I'd say $999 is pretty good to have the Melb/Sing leg business class return - I've never even got that for economy when travelling between Singapore and Melbourne.

If you did it the other way round - ie London to Melbourne - the difference was $AUD$63...

so not sure where the "thousands" you talk of come from?

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying air tickets from outside of the country of origin

The only time it realy works is if you have a series of flights,say 5 or 6 MEL-LHR-MEL,then it can be cheaper to buy 1 MEL-LHR-MEL ticket,with a long timespan for the return,then nest inside a few LHR-MEL-LHR tickets.This is against most airlines T and C's,but if you use different carriers it will work.

As far as trying to buy a MEL-SIN-MEL then SIN-LHR-SIN or similar,you will save nothing,even from a high cost origin like AUS.All that will happen is you will open yourself to schedule changes,possible missed flights and ticket forfeiture.Furthermore,trying to do it through a travel agent will be even worse.You can buy any tickets you need online through the airlines websites.

Best idea would be to sign up for alerts with your choice of airlines,and lookout for when they are having sales.If you are flexible with your travel plans,you may save a reasonable amount in that way.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying air tickets from outside of the country of origin

Lisa,

There is a bit of cat and mouse game here. We, the clients, are trying to find the best deal and the airlines want to do yield management! This is for instance my latest related experience:

businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Prici…

Your idea to use SIN as a hub carries one large risk: non guaranteed connexion at SIN since you'd be on two tickets. It's possible but you'd have to plan a long connection time to be on the safe side. In addition if you buy your ticket online or via an Australian travel agent, you might not have access to the best fares a SIN based travel agent could offer (if there is really a huge price difference).

Bottom line, it might be worth trying but planning a long connection time at SIN.

5. Re: Buying air tickets from outside of the country of origin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 10, 2014