We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easyjet seat options and supplements

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,532 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Easyjet seat options and supplements

Two of us are flying with Easyjet from Gatwick to Chania, Crete, next month for a family get-together. I haven't used Easyjet before, my flights in recent years having all been with BA or Virgin, and I'm finding its seating policy a bit mystifying. I had been told early this year that with Easyjet you have the choice of early boarding or not, but all that has changed now and it seems far more complicated.

Today I received an email from them telling me the following:

'For added peace of mind when you fly, why not ensure everyone in your party are all sitting together, exactly where you want, by pre booking your seats now.'

It then lists three options:

*'Choose your seats from £3 - Want a window seat, or prefer an aisle one? No problem, just let us know.

* 'Move up front from £8 - Avoid the rush and sit up front and be first off when we land.'

* 'Get extra leg room from £8 - Stretch out and enjoy your trip with extra leg room.'

I'd just like to know which of these are the most important to choose. I'm also dubious about what 'from' means. I really would be grateful if some regular Easyjet users could let me know what they'd choose. I'm in a bit of a quandary because I know that the person travelling with me is on a tight budget and would probably be embarrassed if I offered to pay for both of us. On the other hand, if one of these options is really important I think we'd both want it. I think we could live with 'average' leg room as neither of us is very tall, but is it really so important to be on the plane first? BTW, I know about the carry-on rules and sizes, and that's not the issue here unless someone thinks there is something I really should know. It is a very early morning flight so we've booked a hotel at Gatwick, but the flight leaves at 5.50 am so some indication of the time it takes at the airport when you've checked in online might be helpful. Sorry, I'm just new to budget airlines and their funny ways.

Thanks in advance. I suppose I can't think about it for too long as the other passengers on the flight are bagging the best seats as I write!

Edited: 8:07 pm, July 07, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,859 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easyjet seat options and supplements

Hi Wansteader..

Firstly you will get a seat. Easyjet recently changed to all allocated seating and even if you don't pay extra you will get a seat on the aircraft. They will generally try to seat people on the same booking together If it is extra important to you that you sit together and want to guarantee it then pay for the £3 per sector (so £6 return).

For me it is not worth anything extra to get seats near the front of the aircraft since most places EZY fly they load and disembark from both the front and rear doors. All seats apart from the emergency exit and front bulkheads are the same. If you don't need extra legroom then forget the emergency exit seats although if you are used to BA seat pitch then even if you are not that tall you might find 29" pitch cramped. I think the most you pay per sector per person is £12 or £15. You can even do this later after you have booked in the “My Booking” section of the website. You can pay separately if you don’t want your travelling companion to know.

No need to be on the plane first as you have a seat although first on gets first choice of space in the overhead bins. If you don’t have large carry on then this should also not worry you.

Easyjet are a good airline. I have travelled over 200 sectors with them without much of an issue or even delay Good luck with you booking and enjoy your family event.

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easyjet seat options and supplements

With regard to the departure time, I think I'd have a look at the number of EJ flights going out around the same time as yours on the same day, but a week earlier. However, this only matters if you have hold luggage. Even then, last time I went out early (7am) there were 14 EJ flights before mine, but there were at least 10 checkin desks open per side, and the queue was almost running.

If you only have hand luggage, then just stroll straight to security. Usually this would be quiet at around 4am, but I don't know how much that varies in the school holidays - probably a lot. Still, I'd rather be there early, and look around the shops or have a coffee.

Finally, bear in mind that it's an awfully long walk from the departures lounge to the EJ lounges - start off as soon as you see the gate number.

And I agree with Ronaldo - EJ is a very good company.

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easyjet seat options and supplements

I am flying EJ tomorrow and choose not to pay for seating, I could not justify an extra £16, £8 each way for a two and half hour flight to Faro, I was allocated 6&9A would prefer an aisle seat but I am not going to bother for such a short flight. £16 will pay for 2 days on the beach, I guess it all depends what is important to you.

Deb

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,182 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easyjet seat options and supplements

EasyJet has an excellent FAQ about their allocated seating system which should answer most questiosn people would have:

…custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5575

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
441 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easyjet seat options and supplements

> EasyJet has an excellent FAQ about their allocated seating system

In addition, you can play with all seating options, select and deselect them before you complete your booking.

> You can even do this later after you have booked in the “My Booking” section of the website.

Any time before you download your boarding pass.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easyjet seat options and supplements

Don't understand the problem. You either book seats (£8 upfront, £12 extra legroom or £3 anywhere else, prices approx.) and turn up. If you don't you get whatever's left when you check in which may be lots of middle seats.

Depending on length of flight very good VFM.

7. Re: Easyjet seat options and supplements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:51 pm, July 08, 2013
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
441 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easyjet seat options and supplements

> so where does is your seat get allocated if you haven't paid for one and you only have hand baggage?

At the moment when you press a button "download boarding pass"

9. Re: Easyjet seat options and supplements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:25 pm, July 09, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,182 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easyjet seat options and supplements

The seat number should be on the boarding pass.