We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a 'back to back' flight violation ?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a 'back to back' flight violation ?

So I didn't have enough money for a ticket and missed an opportunity to buy one last week.

There are two upcoming music festivals in Germany. (Cologne and Oberhausen)

Seems to be marginally cheaper to buy a trip to Dusseldorf and take a train to Cologne than fly directly there. And it looks like a short train ride is necessary to get to Oberhausen.

Approximate dates:

Fly in Thursday 7/18 (festival is 20 and 21st) Fly out Tuesday 7/23.

Fly in Wednesday 10/9 (festival is 11.12.13) and fly out Tuesday 10/15.

Get one round trip flight Origin -> DUS 7/18/2013 and DUS -> Origin 10/15/2013

Get second round trip flight DUS -> Origin 7/23/2013 and Origin-> DUS 10/9/2013

And split the tickets to match the dates above. I was trying to save money on the first trip (without insane layovers).

I suppose the overall cost could or would drop due to the amount of time before the second festival.

I think that guy in the movie "PI" actually tried cracking the airline ticket pricing patterns and that's why he really went crazy.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a 'back to back' flight violation ?

I'm lost.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a 'back to back' flight violation ?

I buy two roundtrip tickets and use half of each.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
58,531 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a 'back to back' flight violation ?

Getting to Germany by buying a round trip but only using the first half can work BUT you cannot use the return portion of the 2nd ticket because the ticket will be canceled if you do not use the first half.

There are NO tricks!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a 'back to back' flight violation ?

Yes, that would be a back-to-back, or nested, ticket and may be in violation of airline T&C.

Riff M: The OP is not suggesting to throw away parts of his tickets.

Edited: 10:37 am, July 07, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a 'back to back' flight violation ?

I'm lost too, ar you asking if the airlines want to know why you are flying in and out and Think maybe you need to use each round trip ticket for each festival in order?

What sort of policy do you feel this is violating please?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a 'back to back' flight violation ?

I would be using the first half of the second ticket as the second ticket isn't origin->germany it's germany-> origin.

July

Origin - > germany (first half, first ticket)

Germany -> origin (first half, second ticket)

October

Origin -> Germany (second half , second ticket)

Germany->origin (second half, first ticket)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this a 'back to back' flight violation ?

As long as you take all the flights it's fine.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this a 'back to back' flight violation ?

I appreciate what you are trying to do (I think) but you have phrased it somewhat awkwardly and then muddled it up by saying that the concert which is I presume on three consecutive days from 11th to 13th is on 11.12.13 which confusingly can also be read as a date this year but well outside your planned date ranges mentioned elsewhere.

The way to avoid detection is not to use frequent flyer numbers on at least one of the flights, and if possible use different airlines. Whether the airline would in any event care about this depends who it is.

If you had just posted saying you wanted to be in Dusseldorf twice on dates x and y and planned to buy two return tickets for dates such and such as te tickets we cheaper that way due to stay requirements for weekends or whatever, and left out all the irrelevancies about cologne, trains, music festivals, it would have been a lot easier to follow.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this a 'back to back' flight violation ?

"As long as you take all the flights it's fine."

Not necessarily, I'm sure some airlines frown on nested tickets since it can done to circumvene airline pricing structures.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this a 'back to back' flight violation ?

Yeah. I wrote this too quickly.

I forgot about the illogical American way of writing dates like December 11, 2013 as 12/11/2013. Everyone else probably sees November 12, 2013 even though i actually meant the individual days. july 20 july 21 , october 11, october 12, october 13.

I sloppily added that information because I expected a suggestion to take a flight that would overlap the actual event.

I'm just exhausted from checking so many of the ticket search engines for the last two or three weeks for a deal that doesn't have an insane layover. It doesn't have to be the cheapest. Problem is that I'm in a slight panic as payday isn't until Friday and I expect ticket prices to hit the stratosphere by then.

I did notice that a one way ticket out of the USA and a round trip ticket back (with the July 23rd and October 9 dates) is about the same price (or less?) as a round trip ticket back for (July 17-23rd).

I guess the possible 'zen answer' is that if if it is this much trouble is it really worth going ?

Edited: 10:55 am, July 07, 2013