We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealander with British/NZ Dual passports!

Auckland, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
New Zealander with British/NZ Dual passports!

I am a Kiwi with both British and NZ passports. I have booked flights to stay in Italy for 11 months (over the 90 day visa limit) and am wondering what passport/s to use when entering and leaving the countries in order to keep immigration happy??

Need to know this urgently!! Thanks! :)

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealander with British/NZ Dual passports!

Would use the EU passport-have Kiwi friends that have Greek and Dutch heritage and when in Europe they use their Greek and Dutch passports for travel etc

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,595 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealander with British/NZ Dual passports!

British citizens don't need visas to enter Italy and British and other EU passports don't get stamped on entry to Italy..

What you show where depends on which way your flights are routed and whether they are on one ticket or not, Normally you would present your British passport at the point you enter the Schengen Area, which might be Italy but could for instance be Frankfurt, Paris or Amsterdam if you have a connecting flight from there to Italy.

When you're ready to go home to NZ, show the airline checkin desk staff your NZ passport, show Italian (or other Schengen Area) immigration exit control staff your British one, show gate staff the NZ one and obviously enter NZ on the NZ one.

Auckland, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealander with British/NZ Dual passports!

Yes I am going into Italy via Frankfurt so I will show my British passport then? I have a return ticket and am going from Auckland-San Francisco-Frankfurt-Florence. So I show my NZ passport when I leave Auckand? and what passport should I show when I am at San Fran? Thanks for your help! :)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,760 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealander with British/NZ Dual passports!

Does not matter in SFO as long as it is the same one you have provided details for on you ETSA application and to the airline if they ask for API.

Obvioulsy in EU you need to use your UK passport or you would require a Visa for an extended stay.

Auckland, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Zealander with British/NZ Dual passports!

Great! Thank you. It's confusing as some people have advise d me to show both while some say that using different passports can look sketchy.

Auckland, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Zealander with British/NZ Dual passports!

What passport is recommended to use as I depart NZ?

Edited: 7:01 am, July 06, 2013
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Zealander with British/NZ Dual passports!

At check in u use the passport that gets u into the country of destination the easiest and at emigration (if required) your nz passport

8. Re: New Zealander with British/NZ Dual passports!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 08, 2014