We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best and cheapest way to fly from japan to thailand?

9 posts
Save Topic
best and cheapest way to fly from japan to thailand?

hello,

I will be traveling to japan next year and have narrowed down the places I will be visiting. I plan on flying into tokyo and then going south visiting certain cities until I get to the ryukyu islands and okinawa. After that I am flying to bangkok, thailand.

I was thinking it would make more sense to fly to bangkok from the ryukyu area instead of returning to tokyo and flying to bangkok, but a flight to bangkok is twice or more the price from ryukyu and okinawa area than from tokyo! Even with the return flight factored in from tokyo to the islands and back, it is still cheaper to go back to tokyo in order to fly to thailand. make sense? I know it's kind of confusing.. thanks for your help!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best and cheapest way to fly from japan to thailand?

There's no such thing as best and cheapest. Pick one.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,908 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best and cheapest way to fly from japan to thailand?

There is no set rule. Normally, flights between major airports (say Tokyo NRT or HND and BKK) are going to be cheaper than direct flights (if any) between Okinawa and BKK. There is less availability of Okinawa and BKK flights so less competition. From a pure cost perspective, it is not surprising at all that flying home via Tokyo would be cheaper.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best and cheapest way to fly from japan to thailand?

They're always cheaper from a large city hub so it's normal the fares will be cheaper from Tokyo, check out the matrix website to see if you can find better fares and schedules using the mutiflight function.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best and cheapest way to fly from japan to thailand?

The Wikipedia article on Naha airport lists airlines and direct destinations from that airport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naha_Airport

Please note that such lists are *usually* quite up to date. That might help you to check options. For example, via Hong Kong or Taipei.

The link below is from a Thai travel agent - offering only China Airlines between Bangkok and Okinawa:

http://www.saveflights.com/country/japan.html

That fare seems very reasonable, BTW - so I might check with SaveFlights to see if they can book Okinawa-Bangkok, or with China Airlines to see what they might offer.

Another option might be to fly back to Fukuoka (e.g. on Skymark or another low cost carrier), or to Kansai (e.g. via Peach) then on to Bangkok. Air Asia X flies to Kansai and Tokyo from Kuala Lumpur - and might be worth considering if you want to assemble the *cheapest* option. From Naha it might be the cheapest, or not - depending on your chosen Naha connection.

If I were you, I might also re-think my itinerary in Japan. To end up in Naha sets you up for a possible expensive, and possibly inconvenient, onward leg to Thailand. This has already been hinted at by other posters here. Rather than having that be inconvenient and/or expensive - might there be a different itinerary which improves the situation - such as spending some time in Tokyo, Kansai or near Fukuoka at the end of your stay in Japan?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,788 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best and cheapest way to fly from japan to thailand?

Don't think you would have to go all the way to Tokyo to find to Thailand. Do searches from Osaka (KIX) and Fukuoka as well.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best and cheapest way to fly from japan to thailand?

#4 describes those options

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best and cheapest way to fly from japan to thailand?

Get a cheap domestic flight from Naha to a main city and then go to Bkk from there.

It's not unusual that flights are more expensive from more remote parts of Japan.

8. Re: best and cheapest way to fly from japan to thailand?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 08, 2014