We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Business class tickets from 3rd party companies

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Business class tickets from 3rd party companies

Hi guys,

Can anyone reconmend any of these companies that offer cheap business class tickets ??

I got a quote from one recently called LOW BUSINESS FARES ,which was very good ( $3,700 from australia to the states) , but was just a little worried on how reputable they are ,before I go ahead.

Thanks for your help

cheers

Peter

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Business class tickets from 3rd party companies

Peter,

They use bartered frequent flyer miles, which is strictly against the terms and conditions of the airlines. That is, they use your money (minus their commission) to pay someone else to book an award ticket in your name. The acceptance of money for award tickets is against the airlines' T+C's. If the airline finds out, they will cancel the ticket, including possibly at the airport or even mid way through your trip. If you happen to be a member of that airline's frequent flyer program, your account (along with that of the seller) would be shut down and all your miles confiscated.

Does that happen? Yes it does, though how often is always a point of debate. We have had a few reports on here of their tickets being canceled, and interestingly at least one of those brokers that advertizes (sorry, is discussed) on this forum has now gone on to stress that they have a "guarantee" that if your ticket were canceled they would buy you a new ticket themselves. But even in those cases, the ticket and updated itinerary has turned out to be less than favorable. Which isn't surprising as these brokers are working against the airlines, not with them.

It's up to you if you want to go ahead, but do so with your eyes open and be aware of the risk.

Edited: 8:53 pm, July 05, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Business class tickets from 3rd party companies

Hi USB,

Many thanks for your very detailed reply, as i suspected the deal is to good to be true. They are dancing in grey and the purchaser is taking all the risk.

Just the way guy on the phone was doing the hard sell on me ,gave me a bad feeling . Since the first call he has pestered me every day , as well i am sure it is a call centre out of India.

Qantas is having a sale at the moment and i can get Syd to LA return for $1,850 in prem econ on the A380 , so i will be going that way , with a stopover in honkers on the way home.

Once again , many thanks for your help in saving me a possible big prob.

Cheers

Peter

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Business class tickets from 3rd party companies

USBT is absolutely correct.The Qantas A380 will be much more relaxing.Plenty of places for a nice dinner in HKG.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Business class tickets from 3rd party companies

Peter you're most welcome. Have a great trip.

Edited: 2:59 am, July 06, 2013
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,273 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Business class tickets from 3rd party companies

This topic deserving of being added to Top Questions as a salutary warning to other travellers.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,760 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Business class tickets from 3rd party companies

I agree with Arandora, should definitely be added to the Top Questions.

The sheer impact of these types of business model going wrong, is so much more severe than most mistakes by travellers.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,273 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Business class tickets from 3rd party companies

Added to Top Questions. Hope that's OK with DEs for this forum. :-)

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Business class tickets from 3rd party companies

1850 in Premium Econ. That is great!! Can you let me know how it is that you can get a s/over in HK on the way back? I thought a cheap fare like that would be direct to LA or DFW? I would be keen to try that routing too.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Business class tickets from 3rd party companies

Was serious considering adding it to the Top Questions! Thanks for having done it! I am just changing the title to make it more catchy...

And thank you USBT for this very clear description.

Edited: 4:45 am, July 07, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Business class tickets from 3rd party companies

Hi Douglass4,

Had to let you know the $1850 i quoted for return in fact was only one way. Sorry it was a STUPID mistake on my part.

Having said that , i have found some great deals on premium econ tickets and can do LA to Syd for around $3000.

All i have to work through now is my internal flights, which i might post later to get some more great advice from members.

Cheers

Peter