We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with Grand child

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with Grand child

We are taking our 5 year old Grand Daughter away on holiday to Lanzarote in October. We have took her on holiday a number of times without any problems. On our last trip, we had returned to Manchester airport and were making our way through Border Control when the officious Border Control Officer asked us for a letter of consent from the Grand Childs parents i,e, our daughter. We didnt have one as we have never been told we need one. We were allowed back in to our country but told that we should have one in future.

Can anyone offer any advise please....

North London
Level Contributor
531 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with Grand child

We've travelled with our 9 year old grandson to Portugal and Cyprus and have never been asked this question. I thought that you only needed this for travelling in the United States.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with Grand child

I very good idea to have one.When I travel with only 1 of my 2 children,without my wife I carry a letter of authorisation,and get asked to produce said letter from time to time.

We live in a litigious world.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,390 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with Grand child

It has been advised for some years that children not travelling with parents must have letter of consent from the parents. It follows on from people taking children out of the Country and not returning them. When my Grandchildren came to Florida with us in 2005, we had to have their parents written consent before they coulf travel. It is common practice now. Some Countries require paperwork to be countersigned by an Notory Public, but not all. Also if only one parent is travelling the other parent must give consent.

Edited: 10:25 am, July 04, 2013
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,555 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with Grand child

"were making our way through Border Control when the officious Border Control Officer asked us for a letter of consent from the Grand Childs parents"

What you describe as officious was someone simply doing an important job - I'm sure parents of children who've been removed from the country by an estranged partner, sometimes in breach of a court order, welcome a proactive approach to child protection.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with Grand child

I think it's not strongly enforced, but perfectly reasonable in this day and age of custodial fights.

Bw, I also include in the letter of consent the fact that I'm authorized to make medical decisions on behalf of the child if necessary.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,400 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with Grand child

It makes common sense to have a letter of consent in this day and age. As above, it is important it includes permission to act in loco parentis. All emergency medical treatment needs to be able to be consented to immediately. Also full details of any medications taken and any allergies etc. are always useful information to put in it as well.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling with Grand child

Many thanks for the replies and advice. I will look to get one drawn up and signed as appropriate. I totally agree that the Border Control do a very important job. I was referring to this particular Officers general manner and communication skills not so much as dealing with the letter and not just with ourselves...manners cost nothing...but suppose anyone can have a bad day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling with Grand child

Tbh I don't really get what the letter does... What is to stop anyone writing the letter up? (Genuine question). Do you have to provide copies of birth certificates etc or anything? I just don't see how the border control can check its genuine?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling with Grand child

Ive been asked for this letter when traveling with my kids out of the country from Canada to the USA and other countries. It needs to be notarized (in Canada that's a lawyer or notary public). That's how it's verified and we bring their long form birth certificates with us that have both parents names on them. If we hadn't had it, we would have been denied boarding and lost all that money. I have also traveled and not been asked, but why take the chance?

Also, even if some countries don't require this, some airlines do, so it's not always about the country.

Edited: 11:49 am, July 04, 2013
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,092 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling with Grand child

Any of my friends who leave the US with grandkids always have notarized letters giving permission for the kids to travel with them and giving permission for medical care.

A number of years ago an Israeli friend took her grandkids to the US. The American embassy required written parental permission before giving the kids VISAs. As said, it is to protect the kids from unauthorized movement.