We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting time through ORD

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
128 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting time through ORD

In my haste I booked flights from Dublin - Las Vegas via ORD without paying very close attention to terminal numbers - I thought if Aer Lingus has a code share with United Airlines they wouldn't offer connecting flights that don't allow enough time to transfer but now I'm not sure sure.

We land at Chicago Terminal 1 and have a 1hr 40 min window to get through security, onward to terminal 5 for a flight with United Airlines - has anyone done this trip recently? Was there enough time to get the connection? Do you have to collect & transfer checked bags?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting time through ORD

Why would u fly from ord to las from t5.

If u arrive at t1 u will depart from t1 or t2

R u sure u don't clear immi and customs in Dublin? Or do u mean u arrive at t5 and need to get to t1?

Edited: 3:41 am, June 30, 2013
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting time through ORD

If that is the case then 1 hr 40 will be tight.

But I have done it in 40 mins........and also 3 hrs

But a t1 to t1 there is plenty of time

Edited: 3:44 am, June 30, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting time through ORD

Ohjustpeachy,

It's the other way round. Aer Lingus arrives at T5 (international terminal) and United departs from T1 and sometimes T2 (domestic).

To add to your woes, the Aer Lingus flight to ORD does not use the US preclearance facility at Dublin, meaning you'll have to do the full immigration, bag claim, customs, bag drop off, transfer to T1/2 and reclear security. 1hr40 is very tight for this, especially non US/Canadian citizens and Green Card holders. I've done it as a US citizen and been fine (made it to my gate at T1-C with plenty of time to spare). But, I wouldn't call it plain sailing on the non-US line.

If you miss your connection, United will look after you and rebook you on the next flight with available seats, so you won't be out of pocket, just late.

Good luck and hope it works out.

Edited: 3:53 am, June 30, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
128 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting time through ORD

Rechecked web site vs tickets and the Aer Lingus site shows the flights arriving/departing from the same terminal (T5 @ ORD) - no wonder I was thinking I'd just overlooked terminal numbers! Given that the transfer time is so short I wonder if this gives leverage if I try to cancel the flights - again the web site says no refunds or cancellations allowed but their web site has been wrong before...

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting time through ORD

Ohjustpeachy,

You can try to rebook the flights, but if the cost is too much I'd leave them as they are and hope for the best. If you miss the connection you'll be rebooked at no extra cost.

At worst you'll get there late and will chalk it up as an experience and be the wiser, i.e. be more careful next time. Which from your posts I'm sure you will be.

Continued good luck.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting time through ORD

As it's the airline's responsibility to get you to your destination the worst that can happen is you'll arrive on a later flight if you miss the original flight so you don't really risk much.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
128 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting time through ORD

Thanks for your kind words :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,775 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting time through ORD

They'll put you on the next available flight, which could be overnight or next day or routed through another city with an extra connection. So consider what happens if you are a day late, not just a couple of hours. If you've got hotel or other reservations that you'll lose if you don't show up, at least have phone numbers handy to call them just in case. On days with bad weather, to s of people in Chicago miss connections and the lines at the rebooking desks are a mile long. So it's not quite as easy as walking up to the next flight an hour later

Edited: 8:04 am, June 30, 2013
Chicago
Level Contributor
6,961 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting time through ORD

Ok I am still confused. You can't be arriving and leaving again from Terminal 5. United flies from 1 or 2.

If you aren't preclearing that is a very tight connection but within the mct. Head straight to immigration/passport and hope lines aren't long. Then you get baggage walk through customs, recheck your bag before leaving and head out to the airport tram. You will have to clear security again.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
128 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connecting time through ORD

I rang Aer Lingus who stated that 1hr 15mins is enough time to get connecting flight & we'd be booked onto next flight with seats available if we miss connection - can't afford to cancel (no refund) so just have to cross fingers, hope there are no delays and learn from mistake :-(