We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight connection at Kuala Lumpur

Benfleet,essex
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Flight connection at Kuala Lumpur

Hi All

WE land KL from London at 07.10 and depart for Koh Samui at 08.25 shall we be ok for this connection or will we need how running shoes on

Thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight connection at Kuala Lumpur

Which airlines?

Benfleet,essex
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight connection at Kuala Lumpur

Sorry,, that will be Malaysian then connect Bangkok airline

Thanks

Wellington
Level Contributor
361 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight connection at Kuala Lumpur

I would say you'd need running shoes. Do-able, but wouldn't take much of a flight or immigration/customs delay to make it not do-able.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,827 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight connection at Kuala Lumpur

Are you flying on one ticket or separate tickets? If you are on one ticket your luggage will go straight through and you will clear Immigration in Koh Samui. Call at the Information Centre re transit arrangements then catch the Aerotrain from the Satellite terminal where your MAS flight lands to the main terminal (takes 3 minutes) to the main terminal and go to departure pier for Bangkok Airways flight. Should do it if no delays on MAS flight. If you are on one ticket and you miss the Bangkok Airways flight they will put you on the next available flight. If you are on two tickets, there is no obligation at LHR for your luggage to go through or for them to put you on next flight. Confirm either with whoever you booked with before you go and certainly at check-in.

Here's a link to the KLIA map klia.com.my/index.php/…129.html

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,529 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight connection at Kuala Lumpur

Are your flights on one ticket (ie a true connection) or separate tickets (not a connection)?

If on one ticket you should be fine with an on time arrival at KUL. Both Malaysia (from LHR) and Bangkok Airways use the Satellite, and unless things have changed since I was there (Dec 2011) you reclear security at your departing gate when you board.

If on separate tickets you'd have virtually no chance, as you'd have to clear immigration, pick up your bags, clear customs and then make your way to the check in for PG. And PG's check in closes between 50 and 90 minutes before departure.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,827 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight connection at Kuala Lumpur

I'll defer to USBT about Bangkjok Airways using the Satellite Termninal, I thought that was for long haul international arrivals and departures. Hope the KLIA map proves useful anyway.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,529 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight connection at Kuala Lumpur

^^^^ Arandora, my source was wikipedia. :-) So I thought I'd check a little more, and today's PG departure to SMU left from C31, which is in the Satellite.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,827 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight connection at Kuala Lumpur

Thanks. My source was my unreliable memory from last time we flew through KLIA to Phuket when I thought all Thailand flights were treated as domestic and went from the main terminal. :-)

Wellington
Level Contributor
361 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight connection at Kuala Lumpur

You realize that Kl and Phuket are in two different countries?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,827 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight connection at Kuala Lumpur

Who are you asking and what is your point? If my comment about "domestic" then, of course, I am aware that KL is in Malaysia and Phuket is in Thailand!! Are you aware that certain international flights at KLIA, for instance those operated by Malaysia Airlines are treated as short haul and depart along with domestic flights from the main terminal as opposed to the satellite terminal which is solely international flights?