We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight change - out of pocket expenses?

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,823 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Flight change - out of pocket expenses?

For the first time ever (touch wood!) I have advised that a flight I have booked in October is no longer available.

I am travelling alone and meeting up with a friend from the UK for the weekend in Malta.

Emirates phoned me today to say that my outbound flight is "no longer available" and offered me the next day. I said that was not suitable and they then offered me a day earlier. I am waiting for an e-mail to confirm.

My question is this - I will incur costs for an extra night accommodation and airport parking. Do airlines compensate for such expenses?

Thanks,

Trisha

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight change - out of pocket expenses?

Not usually.

They are allowed to change the flight, and if you don't want/like either option you can ask for a refund.

But they won't usually pay you compensation.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,538 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight change - out of pocket expenses?

"Do airlines compensate for such expenses?" - In my experience no, you either accept the change with responsibility for any additional out of pocket costs or reject the change and get a full refund.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight change - out of pocket expenses?

I beleive you are only able to claim compensation if the cancellation is made with less than 2 weeks to go.

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,823 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight change - out of pocket expenses?

Thanks all. I didn't hold out much hope but thought it was worth asking for opinions.

It's inconvenient, but not the end of the world - one day less at work and one more day added to my trip!

Trisha

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight change - out of pocket expenses?

Good for you, looking on the bright side!

6. Re: Flight change - out of pocket expenses?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, June 28, 2014