We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

excess baggage

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
excess baggage

I have excess baggage about 100 kgs over the baggage allowance prescribed by airline by which I am flying to Mumbai, India from Melbourne, Australia. The airline charges work to about 8Aus $ /kg. Can someone please let me know if there is a cheaper alternative? Please also let me know of any carrier who will give me door to door service.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: excess baggage

If you are not in a hurry to receive your items, you could arrange to send them via sea freight. There are a number of choices if you Google 'sea freight Australia to India'. Nearly all will provide a door to door service, although the cost will be higher. If you live near a sea port (Melbourne or Sydney, for example) the costs will be reduced however if you live out in the boonies you may be better off driving your items to the freight terminal yourself. I last sent stuff by sea freight about 7 years ago, so can't give an accurate costing, but I sent 8 medium packing boxes plus 2 suitcases from the UK to Australia (door to port) and the cost was around $AUD600.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: excess baggage

I would also look at other ways to send the baggage on ahead, but contact the airline to see if they have special tarifs for that much luggage.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: excess baggage

It also might be worth asking your airline if they offer good prices for freight travelling on the same flight as a passenger - BA did that for me once and it was very economical, although I did need to drop the stuff off at a cargo centre the day before my flight (it couldn't just be checked-in with me at the airport) and then had to clear it through customs & excise and collect it from BA's cargo depot at Heathrow, so it wasn't entirely hassle free.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: excess baggage

If should try DHL or something similar, the price per Kg may be cheaper, but also depends on when you need it.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: excess baggage

Thanks for the advice. I have spoken to my airline.

6. Re: excess baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 29, 2014