We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ba first class (old style)

swansea
Level Contributor
756 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
ba first class (old style)

due to fly next monday LHr-LAs

been advsied is most likely the "old" first class

ive never flown anything other than economy before and was really looking to the first class experience but all the reivews have made me nervous

is it really as bad as the reviews say? (ie better off traveling business/premium economy)

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ba first class (old style)

It is just another world. You will enjoy it immensely. So don't bother if it is not the new first class seat (the rest of the service being the same).

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,620 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ba first class (old style)

I can only imagine that even "old" first class would in no way be better than flying cattle class. Go, enjoy, report back. We would love to hear about it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ba first class (old style)

It's not that much different from the new seats when it comes down to it. The bed is about the same width and the length is the same. I do find the new seat better for sleeping but the old one is better for a dayflight IMO as the footrest can move independently of the seat, whereas with the new seat you have one large knob that moves the seat completely. The IFE screen is quite a bit larger and does support split view too.

Personally I'd rather have the new seats but the old ones aren't bad at all. Those who say they'd rather fly premium or business class are delusional.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ba first class (old style)

It's not bad in any way.

We flew old first LHR-Miami last April, and new first back on the same route - not much difference.

Old first = spacious flat bad and private area, same cuisine, top-notch service.

Tip: be SURE to use the Concorde Lounge at Terminal 5 - it's immediately to the right as soon as you go through security. Lovely lounge with sit down dining areas/waitron service, very exclusive, spa etc - entry controlled severely but if you're flying first you'll get in - and it's a nice experience.

We flew business BA LHR-JFK last November, returning Premium Economy, and these are both in a different league - business seats cramped/too near other people, premium economiy OK but very much economy.

Edited: 8:57 am, June 24, 2013
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ba first class (old style)

Don't worry, you'll still get the 1st class treatment and I'm sure you'll love the experience.

swansea
Level Contributor
756 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ba first class (old style)

thanks

was really worried

its our honeymoon and have been a bit of an Airmiles (avios) saver for a few years so so excited to put these to use and upgrade

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ba first class (old style)

If you've never flown anything besides economy then even old First will be another world. I wouldn't worry about it.

I've used miles to gift upgrades to First for friends who'd never flown anything other than economy and decided to splash on a Club World flight as one put it, "it's other worldly and I'm never going back".

Blyth, United...
Level Contributor
321 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ba first class (old style)

I've flown both old and new and there's not a great deal of difference. The service is outstanding and the food was great. Some really nice wines to choose from too if that's your thing.

The entertainment screen on the old style was quiet small and was a little pop up unit. I didn't particularly like this so was much more impressed with the large screen on the new style.

The new style also has better lighting, electric window blinds,etc.

As previous posters have said, if you've never flown first before you'll thoroughly enjoy the experience whether it's the old or new style. And just wait until they bring you your pyjamas and ask you if you'd like to get changed whilst they make your bed!

Enjoy the experience and have a great honeymoon.

Lanzarote, Spain
Level Contributor
111 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ba first class (old style)

I saved my airmiles to fly first class, old style, and it was absolutely amazing, in fact flying first class was the reason of my trip to India.....

Take advantages of the Concorde room and enjoy every single momento of the flight

It´s a life time experience and every person should have the right to fly First Class once in a lifetime

swansea
Level Contributor
756 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ba first class (old style)

Just to report back

Had Amazing time first experience is unreal and business on way back was good we had old class cabin, was disappointed for 5 seconds but from then on in was so amazing