We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York by Air Berlin

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
New York by Air Berlin

We are planning our trip to New York end of August / beginning of September. I checked the airfares and Air Berlin seems to be very attractive (round trip from BUD around EUR 550). Air Berlin is said to be a low cost airline operated by Lufthansa (am I wrong?) so on one hand it seems to be fine, but still...

Any experience?

Thanx

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York by Air Berlin

AirBerlin is a budget airline partly owned by Etihad. They have no connections with Lufthansa.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York by Air Berlin

Air Berlin is owned 70% by Etihad Airways. You will receive full service such as meals, complimentery alcohol, entertainment and amenity packs on the flight route you have given. It's a One World member and not your typical low cost carrier. Check their site for further info.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York by Air Berlin

AirBerlin is a budget airline partly owned by Etihad. They have no connections with Lufthansa.

Air Berlin is now a full service airline and member of Oneworld.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York by Air Berlin

Thanks a lot! low cost flights can be quite annoying, especially oversees:-) so your comment is very useful

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York by Air Berlin

If you want to read some reviews for peace of mind, check out the airlinequality website:

www.airlinequality.com

nyc
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York by Air Berlin

I did a couple of flights with them, JFK to Munich via Berlin, and Vienna to JFK via Dusseldorf, and thought they were quite good; i.e. better than any North American carrier, and better than many Euro ones too. The food was decent, and they even offered free booze. They also give out amenity kits on overnight flights, even in economy; but bring your own headphones as they charge for those.

The only downside is that their long-haul fleet's a bit old: So, for example, on my flight back to NYC, the entertainment system didn't work the entire flight, so the FAs became overly generous with the liquor, and I remember most of us happily availed ourselves of their generosity. Also, the seats in economy are a bit cramped, but I got lucky enough to enjoy poor-man's-business class, i.e. a whole row of 4 to myself to stretch out on and actually fall asleep. So despite the hiccups, I'd have no qualms about using them again.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,362 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York by Air Berlin

"So despite the hiccups," - well. you did avail yourself of the FA's generosity with the liquor! ;-)

Bellaria-Igea...
Level Contributor
12,778 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York by Air Berlin

Try Brussels Airlines, they have good prices lately!

9. Re: New York by Air Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, June 26, 2014