We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Emirates Ground Staff in Paris CDG wants more money

Manila Philippines
Level Contributor
109 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
One Emirates Ground Staff in Paris CDG wants more money

I wonder if Emirates ground staff in Paris Charles De Gaulle airport gets commission or points for extra luggage fee.

For our flight back to Philippines via Dubai, our tickets (3pax) says we are entitled to 30kgs of check in luggage each. That's a total of 90kg limit without limit on quantity. We have six bags and wanted to try if it is within the allowed limit. But when we try to check in our bags, the ground staff, male, insisted that we need first to show our hand carried luggage. Because we were not sure about the total weight of our bags, we opted to hand carry a bag. The ground staff merely place a blank nametag on it. It was not recorded. Only after that were we allowed to checkin the remaining bags. But they totaled only about 80kgs. So we asked if we can check in the first bag which is only around 5kgs, the ground staff suddenly grin and with eyes wide open said "You have to pay".

To avoid trouble (we came from a very nice holiday) I did not bother to argue. We just let it go.

But looking back, I think that the ground staff is shrewd, greedy and very wrong. I travel a lot and that was the first time I encounter such b...s... He had intentions of making passengers pay for extra luggage even if these are within the weight limit. He even showed it with his facial expression.

This never happened to me before on other airlines.

Emirates would have been a wonderful airline if not for this.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,529 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Emirates Ground Staff in Paris CDG wants more money

Hi,

"I wonder if Emirates ground staff in Paris Charles De Gaulle airport gets commission or points for extra luggage fee. "

==> Doubtful.. Most ground staff aren't on any kind of transaction-level ptofit-sharing or the like.. Some carriers do award incentives if stationwide goals are met, but it's not common for that type of award program to be at the individual level and/or a per-transaction level.

The one group where this idea is used with some regularity is with cabin crew.. Some carriers do allow their cabin crew to share in the sakes of duty-free purchases or similar.. When this is applied, it's usually administered on a "whole crew" basis (ie. the 3, 4, 5 etc cabin crew) and not one specific crew member... but each carrier runs this their own way.

I haven't taken a hard look at exactly what the baggage rules are for your *specific* situation here, but I'd say that IF it allows you to do so-- and the agent wanted additional payment, then I'd raise that issue to EK.. but again, in my mind, the answer here really depends on what the exact and specific rules are or were in your case-- and they can vary and at times be route specific.

Travel Safe,

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Emirates Ground Staff in Paris CDG wants more money

Hi Bensy,

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Did you pay the extra for the one piece of luggage having checked 5 other bags? Or did you carry it on board?

Even if you did pay, how would the employee have benefited from it since it would have been processed through Emirates payment system?

Glad you had an enjoyable holiday in any case. :)

UF

The small print from their site shows:

* Please Note: The checked baggage allowance and excess baggage rates calculator is provided for your information only. Whilst Emirates takes every effort to ensure that the standard checked baggage allowances, additional Emirates Skywards allowances and excess baggage rates shown are as accurate as possible, we reserve the right to change these allowances and rates at any time without notice and we shall not be liable for any discrepancies between the allowances and charges determined by the calculator and the amounts determined by our check-in staff and agents.

Edited: 12:27 am, June 21, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Emirates Ground Staff in Paris CDG wants more money

From my understanding, it is a 30kg limit per person - not a combined 90kg for three people.

If your groups total luggage was 80kg, made up of allowances of 27kg, 27kg & 26kg, you are not able to check in a 5kg bag because it would put you over the 30kg limit.

I think you may have misinterpreted the ground staffs actions - it is highly unlikely that they would try to charge unjustifiably for luggage. Maybe a little bit of a cultural misunderstanding in the non-verbal communication.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Emirates Ground Staff in Paris CDG wants more money

Have to agree with the others. Very unlikely the staff member was going to personally benefit. It's also not about the group total, it's 30 kg per person.

So for the hand luggage to be checked in for free, it would need to be checked in by someone who had 5kg left on their allowance, if the person requesting to check it in did not have this capacity left then they would need to pay, I suspect that was the issue.

Also, could be a misinterpretation of the agent, he might have had major issues with trying to apply the policy of charging with other passengers previously, ok, definetly had major issues, so appeared falsely happy right as he knew it was going to be a problem. People react differently, and it could simply have been defensive and misinterpreted, I doubt this is the most fun part of their job.

Manila Philippines
Level Contributor
109 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Emirates Ground Staff in Paris CDG wants more money

I was really surprised myself. This was the first time that this thing happened to me.

@unclefey, I did not pay for the one piece luggage and instead hand carried it on board.

@HK71, While it was 30Kg per passengers, the ground staff allowed us to put 3 bags together and then 2 bags together in the weighing conveyor. Bags were not weigh individually. And this is not uncommon. We are usually allowed to combine bags as long as the tickets are issued with a single booking.

@froggyEngland, I wished it was just misinterpretation or miscommunication but it was not. I was at first puzzled why he insisted for us to declare our handcarried bags before accepting the check-in bags, but I now believe it was precisely to take extra money from us. He did not even record the carry on bag. He simply put a blank nametag on it. Why insist that this be done first before weighing our check in bags?

Had the remaining bags exceeded 90kgs, I am sure that he will charge us for extra luggages and disallow us to hand carry any of the 5 bags that were not initially declared.

While he may not have possibly benefited from this, maybe this was just for fun or to impress the girl beside her,, I sincerely believe he was trying to pull a fast one on me.

I have wanted to bring this matter to Emirates but could not find their email address.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Emirates Ground Staff in Paris CDG wants more money

Hand luggage is often weighed to see it is within permitted limit. I assume the 'tag' just showed it was approved as hand luggage.

The check-in staff is likely not employed by Emirates, but by their handling agent.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Emirates Ground Staff in Paris CDG wants more money

Why insist that this be done first before weighing our check in bags

------

Might just be the process, put tags on hand luggage first to make sure its not forgotten. In any case, one or other has to come first so why make a conspiracy out of it?

I'm sure I've had my hand luggage weighed first previously on other airlines, Virgin for example, and others have asked to see my hand luggage and then put blank tags on it to show its been approved.

Manila Philippines
Level Contributor
109 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Emirates Ground Staff in Paris CDG wants more money

My hand luggage was not weigh. I've wanted to checkin as much weight as possible, and hand carry only that exceeded the limit. It seems that the total weight of all our bags did not exceed the limit. Although my hand carried bag was not weigh at the airport, I weigh it at the hotel. Total weight at the hotel is around 88kgs, but I wasn't sure about its accuracy.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
937 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Emirates Ground Staff in Paris CDG wants more money

On Air Asia you may use the unused portion of anothers checked baggage as long as you are on the same itinerary.

When we fly my wife and I book 30kgs each, on bag drop we put all the bags [ sometimes 4] on the belt, as long as the total is 60kg or less everything is OK, the number of bags is not questioned, I did ask one staff member once and she said you can have any number of bags as long as you dont exceed your COMBINED limit.

Our past 3 flights we have adopted this method and have not had any problems, I think for the handlers safety they would prefer you spread your 60kgs over 3-4 bags rather than 2 30kg bags.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Emirates Ground Staff in Paris CDG wants more money

I think you are over reacting to the whole situation.

The person checking in your bags would have seen the huge amounts of luggage that you had to check in and wanted to see if your carry on luggage would have exceeded the bag sizes allowed.

This is a common procedure and one that I get asked all the time when checking in.

as stated it is 30kg per person, even if they do weigh in total, so even if they allowed the 5kg bag to be checked in, it would have taken one person over their luggage limit.

Regardless to what has been said about being on the same booking, it is still only 30kg per person.

I think these people checking in luggage get pretty tired of dealing with people that have so much stuff with them. I see them all the time trying to move their stuff around bags before check in. Next time pack lighter, and watch what you buy.