We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ataturk Airport, Istanbul

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Ataturk Airport, Istanbul

Later in the year I am booked to fly Sydney/Istanbul with Singapore Air then Istanbul/Tashkent with Uzbekistan Airways two and a half hours later. I am not sure if this is enough time. Can anyone tell me if I will be able to checkin at the transfer desk and my luggage be transferred automatically or will I have to collect it, go through customs etc and then present myself at the Uzbek Air check in desk? Neither airline has been able to advise me. Perhaps someone familiar with Ataturk Airport might know the answer?

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ataturk Airport, Istanbul

Hi wella2go, Based upon your explanation I assume that you have two different and unrelated tickets. One ticket is with Singapore Air for your flight between Sydney and Istanbul. The second ticket is with Uzbekistan Airways for your flight between Istanbul and Tashkent. If this is correct there is virtually no way your luggage can be tagged all the way to your final destination. Singapore Air cannot tag your luggage for a flight over which they have no control. Uzbekistan Airways would be in the same position if there even is a representative of Uzbekistan Airways in Sydney.

As far as both of your airlines are concerned you are making two trips. One trip is going to leave you at Istanbul, and the other will leave you at Tashkent.

So, when you arrive you must leave the plane, get a visa, pass through immigration, leave the secure area of the airport and collect your luggage, pass through security with your luggage, check your luggage in with Uzbekistan Airways, go through a second security check and make your way to the gate of your flight with Uzbekistan. If you have not printed your boarding pass for the Uzbekistan flight you will also have to get that while you are checking in your luggage.

I think most people would be comfortable with a two and one-half hour transfer time. If your plane is on time and the lines for visa and immigration are not exceptionally long you should not have much difficulty. You might purchase an evisa which would speed up the process a bit. I do not think you will have lots of spare time, so I would get my luggage checked in and pass through security before I stopped for a meal or any other activity.

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ataturk Airport, Istanbul

Thank you for your swift reply. You have reinforced my worst fears although I am heartened by your comment that the time should be adequate. I was confusd by the following statement that was under Transfers on the Ataturk website. "Transfer Passengers: (International Passengers with An International Connection Flight). A boarding pass is issued for the passenger (if not issued in the country of origin) at the transit des of the relevant handling company on the Arrivals floor. The passenger does not go through passport control. Instead he/she directly proceeds through the transit area into the International Departures area. Baggage will be automatically transferred to the connecting flight" but you think this only applies to passengers travellng on the same airline?

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ataturk Airport, Istanbul

I was confusd by the following statement that was under Transfers on the Ataturk website. "Transfer Passengers: (International Passengers with An International Connection Flight). A boarding pass is issued for the passenger (if not issued in the country of origin) at the transit des of the relevant handling company on the Arrivals floor.

2 separate tickets is not a connecting flight,so this is not applicable to your case.

Whilst I would agree with Busy-retired that 2hrs30 is enought time if sll goes smoothly,you have left yourself at risk of 2 problems that might occur.1,Uzbekistan Airways reschedules your flight,making it impossible for you to get to check in on time,or your Singapore airlines flight is late,with the same result.

I would never schedule 2 separate flights as closely as this,for safety I try to leave 24 hours between flights.

Good luck,I hope all goes well.Please come back late and prove me wrong.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ataturk Airport, Istanbul

rapidex, I am happy to see that there is one other cautious person in the world. I always schedule 24 hours between two flights similar to those the OP is planning. I did not dare write that because I have made that statement in the past only to generate fifty posts declaring how crazy that is.

As a retired person, I have much more time than I have money. It is easier for me to spend an extra day in a transfer city than purchase two plane tickets at the outrageous price they are on the same date as the flight. I have had just enough plane issues to convince me that it is not unreasonable to expect a flight to be seriously delayed. I seldom fly on two different tickets, but on those occasions when I cannot avoid doing so, I schedule a full day between flights.

I also agree with your explanation of the paragraph the OP copied from Ataturk Airport. The OP is not technically transferring to a connecting flight. I believe that this paragraph not only requires that the passenger be flying on the same airline, but probably the same ticket number as well. This paragraph simply explains that if a passenger does not have a boarding pass for his connecting flight he can obtain it without leaving the airside of the terminal.

The OP could take advantage of this if he were flying with no checked luggage, but there is no way to get his luggage to his second flight without leaving airside, picking up his luggage and checking it back in again. I do not think this is unique to Ataturk. I suspect every airport has similar arrangements.

5. Re: Ataturk Airport, Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 23, 2014