We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet lag/lack of sleep flying tips!!

Australia
Level Contributor
563 posts
Save Topic
Jet lag/lack of sleep flying tips!!

Hi. Any new ideas to help jet lag on arrival after long haul flight Perth to LA? Are those chewy jet- ease tablets worth it they sell - I think they are natural based? Anything else can do?

Also I don't sleep on flights - on economy - anything I can take with me to help? Was thinking of taking a cheap full size pillow? Other ideas. On Cathay or air New Zealand economy class.

Please help!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,448 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jet lag/lack of sleep flying tips!!

The most effective way of dealing with jet lag is preparation and routine. If I'm flying Australia to US I'll take a day flight and stay awake for the flight and stay up during the day for an early ish night. It can make for a rather long day but I manage.

A lot of people thing everyone is affected the same by jet lag but that's certainly not the case. I can confidently say that I don't get it by making minor changes to routine.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,468 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jet lag/lack of sleep flying tips!!

I've tried Jet Ease and I think they work. You have to chew one before you take off then every two hours (except if you are sleeping). I don't think I felt quite as bad with jet lag when I flew Sydney to NYC last time. I still woke up weird hours the first night in NYC (it could have been the excitement and strange hotel room of course) but after that it seemed to be better.

Also, I swear by noise cancelling headphones for the flight. They block out 90% of the engine drone and other noise. And they are excellent for watching the in-flight entertainment and listening to music on your personal iPhone/iPod. The sound quality is much better.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jet lag/lack of sleep flying tips!!

I've never experience jet lag from from Australia to the States due to the direction of flying.

I always select an afternoon departure too. Spend some time having a meal and watching TV and tend to nap about 5 hours in.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jet lag/lack of sleep flying tips!!

I set my watch to the arrival destination time as soon as I board the plane and if the arrival is early morning I have a couple of hours sleep in the hotel no more as it does refresh me and then try to stay awake until at least 9.30 pm this usually gets me on the local time pretty quickly.

5. Re: Jet lag/lack of sleep flying tips!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 22, 2014