We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 flights to LA which one?

Australia
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Topic
2 flights to LA which one?

Hi. Please help!! I am a bad flyer with motion sickness and don't sleep. Flying from Perth Australia to LA and Canada in dec. trying to decide comfort of flight between air New Zealand with stop over overnight in Aukland on way over or Cathay pacific with overnight in Hong Kong. Does anyone know best leg room, comfort of seats - not sardined on economy in both flights? Also thought re jet lag that flying via Aukland may be better in terms of adjusting to time difference for LA? Any suggestions would be great. Need overnight stopover due to not sleeping a wink on any of the flights. I don't deal with jet lag well either - as have a fatigue issue in general - like fibromyalgia. I have insomnia normally.

Please help re best airline of the 2 and flight path.

Thanks so much

London, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 flights to LA which one?

Cathay operates A330s to Perth in a 2-4-2 configuration and 777-300s to LA in a 3-3-3 configuration, but travel times would be much longer all up than via NZ. These aircraft will all have Cathay's latest economy seats which are fine, and have a seat pitch of 32".

Air NZ operates 777-200s from Perth to Auckland in a 3-3-3 configuration with 32" seat pitch (so little real difference from Cathay). From Auckland to LA most flights are in 777-300s with a 3-4-3 configuration with a 33" seat pitch (so one inch narrower but one inch more legroom), the remainder handful of flights are in the same 777-200s that operate Perth-Auckland.

Air NZ allows you to buy extra legroom seats when you book the flights through its website, so you can buy exit rows for around an additional $75. You can also bid for an upgrade to premium economy for a few hundred dollars if you wish (you get confirmation of bid acceptance or rejection one week out from the flight), which would give you an additional 10 inches legroom, and on the 777-300s very private space in a 2-2-2 configuration.

Both routes involve overnight flights from Perth, but Auckland would be quicker.

Australia
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 flights to LA which one?

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Sounds little minimal difference in economy seats for either airline - as an inch perhaps difference in seat. Are head rests and ability to move seat back the same? Don't mind too much re difference in time of 2 flights as similar. More concerned when in the plane and having some comforts. Interesting you can buy leg room? Do you know of the sky couch seats on air nz in economy? Is it worth it? Which do you recommend for a comfortable flight or much the same? Food - that's another headache for me as I have an allergy to onions and garlic - need low acid diet - problem! Thanks again

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 flights to LA which one?

You might also get some info if you read the reviews on the airlinequality website.

www.airlinequality.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 flights to LA which one?

I know the Air NZ ones have movable headrests, with the new 777-300 seats better for that. Cathay's 777-300s will also have movable headrests. Both will have similar levels of recline, with the exception that usually the rearmost rows may have less recline.

Yes you can buy the exit row seats on Air NZ if they are available, Cathay Pacific also offers this option. The problem is knowing whether or not there is availability, which any travel agent can tell you, but can also be determined through a pay website like Expertflyer (for US$5 for a month).

Skycouch is expensive for one person on Air NZ, but if you are willing to pay for it, you get three seats to yourself with a flat surface all the way to the seat in front. I think premium economy is better than that, but if you want a flat surface it is typically cheaper than business. For two people, a Skycouch gives you a spare third seat and some more room to stretch out, but I don't think it is worth more than a couple of hundred for the long haul flight. Note you cannot get the Skycouch from Perth to Auckland, as it is not available on the 777-200s, just the 777-300s for now (until the former are upgraded in 2014). Note on Air NZ if booked through its website, you can bid for an upgrade to premium economy with cash - which if successful, would give you a major improvement in legroom and seat width (and better food). Success with that depends on how much you bid and how busy the cabin is.

I would pick Air NZ, but I am an Air NZ frequent flyer and I find the legroom just a bit more tolerable than others (as legroom matters to me). However, Cathay is a good airline too. On food, both airlines offer a range of choices for special meals, which may not be exactly what you are looking for, but you may be able to choose something that avoids onions and garlic. Best idea would be to contact each airline's local representatives and talk about meals.

I hope that is helpful.

5. Re: 2 flights to LA which one?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 22, 2014