We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta refusing to provide cancellation verification

Idaho
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Delta refusing to provide cancellation verification

I booked a flight on Delta in January for a trip to Kenya and also purchased a "cancel for any reason" trip insurance policy. Last week I decided not to take the trip and called to cancel my flight. I was told I would have a credit that was good for a year. I then realized that my trip insurance will reimburse me for the flight cost if I can provide documentation that I am "refusing" the flight credit. I called Delta back and stated my desire to "refuse" the credit and requested documentation of that refusal, but was told they will not provide any kind of written verification and stated they only provide such verification if the airline itself has cancelled the flight.

Any ideas on how to obtain the document I need from Delta--or another way to provide "proof" to the insurance company--or would be greatly appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta refusing to provide cancellation verification

I then realized that my trip insurance will reimburse me for the flight cost if I can provide documentation that I am "refusing" the flight credit.

=========================================

What does your policy actually say on this point? In the UK there's a duty on the insured party to minimise any loss, and I'd have thought this would include accepting a flight credit valid for a year.

While I've never heard of any company offering "cancel for any reason" travel cover in the UK, I'd have thought having cover if you were "refused" a flight credit would be more likely.

Edited: 4:42 am, June 19, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta refusing to provide cancellation verification

I doubt "cancel for any reason" policies exist in the form of returning the cash value of the ticket, as many, many people would then book air tickets at price A, and then if they saw a lower price B they could cancel the ticket, buy the lower priced one, and claim back the full cost of the first higher price ticket from such an insurance policy.

I'm with the post above. Something tells me insurance companies don't work like this... if they did, you would end up with cash from the policy and a flight credit. You need to check the small print

Edited: 5:09 am, June 19, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,830 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta refusing to provide cancellation verification

Yes, they do, Jeremy.

OP, call the insurance company and ask how to handle it.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,578 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta refusing to provide cancellation verification

Hi,

I agree that you'll probably have to work this out with your insurance carrier... Airlines - at the front-line level, only have a certain number and type of forms that they can use.. And most airlines don't allow staff to manually create one for obvious reasons.

I see what the OP needs - wether his/her insurance actually covers this case and in this fashion is a different issue and one that I will sidestep for the moment - but I also see why DL doesn't have a form for this.. Its just not "normal" if you will, for a pax to refuse a credit of what (assumably) is/was their original ticket purchase price..

In my mind its somewhat like returning a pair of pants that you don't need, like or want and then refuse to accept the stores credit for the return. Possible? Sure. Normal? I don't think so.. That's why I suspect DL- at the front line level- doesn't have a "refused to take out credit" type of form.

But.. I am positive that if push comes to shove that someone a bit higher up the authority chain at DL can do that ... But I agree with the previous, that for now, I'd go back to your insurer and see what are alternatives or if they can give guidance.

Travel Safe.

Idaho
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta refusing to provide cancellation verification

Thank you for the replies. You can buy policies in the U.S. that allow you to cancel for any reason. Per my policy, if you cancel at least two days before the trip, you can recover 75% of the out of pocket loss. I have confirmed with the insurance company that I can be paid for the cost of the flight with proof that I will not be using the credit (to avoid the situation jeremy pointed out--getting reimbursed and using the credit).

GOPBI, your explanation makes sense as to why I haven't gotten anywhere with Delta on the first few tries. I will contact the insurance company to ask about alternatives.

Again, thanks for the help.

6. Re: Delta refusing to provide cancellation verification

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 21, 2014