We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food items in luggage

omaha, nebraska
Level Contributor
140 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
food items in luggage

We don't fly that often. When we do we have a short duration that we will be gone and do not take or pack anything special. This trip however we are going to Orlando/Disney at the last minute and on a tight budget. I was wondering if we can easily pack food items in a suitcase that we check. I was thinking we'd take granola bars, crackers, nuts, etc. We are flying Southwest and switch to Air Trans.

Will our luggage get scanned, flagged or checked for any reason with these items in it (along with just our normal clothing items)?

Thanks.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food items in luggage

Perfectly OK

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,940 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food items in luggage

There's no issue with food items domestically. Bring whatever you wish.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food items in luggage

Yes, but make sure you declare it,

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,788 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food items in luggage

Why would you have to declare it on a domestic flight?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,521 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food items in luggage

>> Yes, but make sure you declare it, <<

Froggy - The OP is flying US domestic. There is no need to declare anything on US domestic flights. Customs and Agriculture only applies to international flights inbound to the US.

OP, just make sure you pack sensibly so your foodstuffs aren't squashed or crushed. Otherwise you have no issues within the US.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food items in luggage

Im really not trying to be a smart**s, but are granola bars and crackers really that much cheaper in Omaha than Orlando? If not, then why not simply pop into a supermarket when you arrive and get whatever you need?

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,788 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food items in luggage

I'm assuming they are staying onsite and using Disney transport from MCO, so it probably is much cheaper to take them, than to try and get to a market.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: food items in luggage

Usbt, yep, fair point, need to start looking at where people are.:-))

omaha, nebraska
Level Contributor
140 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: food items in luggage

you assumed correctly....straight from airport to resort to parks. Why would I want to go to a grocery store in Orlando FL when I am on vacation!?!?!?

Thanks all to your answers!

10. Re: food items in luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 18, 2014