We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Damaged passport

Mumbai, India
8 posts
Save Topic
Damaged passport

I have an Indian passport and have just noticed that it's damaged; I think something has leaked out in the drawer it was kept in. My photograph is blurred but the pages are intact along with other information.

I'm due to fly to Switzerland early next month to study; my tickets are booked and I am expecting my Schengen student visa within a few days. What do I do???

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Damaged passport

Get a new passport.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Damaged passport

I would be doing a search thru this site

passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/welcom…

there are questions about damaged passports answered there.

but really it doesn't take much for a passport to be damaged from an official point of view these days.

applying for a new one might be the only answer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Damaged passport

My answer was short, but the truth is, if the photo is blurred you will need a new passport, it's an important part of the document, only you can tell how blurred it is though, as we can't see if or you,

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Damaged passport

You need to get a new passport.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Damaged passport

I wonder how important the photo really is these days.

I think the info on the chip (which includes a photo) is probably the key.

when I enter aus I have no contact with a human being.....just a machine. it doesn't look at the actual pic but the digital one.

having said that however photo damage according to aus passport regs is a reason to get a new one.

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Damaged passport

I think the info on the chip (which includes a photo) is probably the key

==================================

Provided the OP's passport is recent enough to have a chip.

it occurred to me that if a new UK passport suffered damage , and the photo got blurred - nobody would notice the difference.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Damaged passport

"and the photo got blurred - nobody would notice the difference"

yes LOL

our new passports have photos on them that are not of the highest quality either.

and when I look at the photo in the last year of its10 passport year life I ask....who is that person.

8. Re: Damaged passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:23 am, September 11, 2013
9. Re: Damaged passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 13, 2014