We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flight

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Connecting flight

Hi,

I'm travelling from Saskatoon Canada to New York la gaurdia,I have a connecting flight in Chicago o hare,there's 1 hour 50 mins layover I was wondering will I have enough time to get from terminal 5 to terminal 1???

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,556 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting flight

As far as I know there is no Immigration/Customs pre clearance at Saskatoon so you'll have to clear these on arrival in La Gaurdia which increases the chances of missing the connection - it all depends on whether your first flight is on time and the queues on arrival.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,539 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting flight

Are you sure you are coming in to T5? Air Canada uses T2 for a lot of their flights as some Canadian airports pre-clear people so you don't need to go through immigration when you arrive..

Anyway, assuming you are coming in at T5, that is barely, barely enough time. If everything is on time you should make it, but do not linger. At T5, you'll have to pass immigration. That is the longest line. I've had it take me 45min or so as a US citizen and have heard others say it can take longer as a non-US citizen. Once you get through immigration, you must claim bags. Take your bags through customs, which is fast. Right outside customs there will be a re-check desk where you can drop your bags again. Then you take the escalator upstairs and take the airport tram to T1, which is the last stop. At T1, you have to go through security, which can also take some time, and then walk to your gate. T1 is very big so once inside security, if you are at one of the far out C concourse gates, it can still be another 10-15 minute walk.

On the plus side, there are lots of flights from Chicago to La Guardia so if your itinerary is one ticket and you miss the flight, there's a pretty good chance of getting on another flight later that day, as long as you are not already on one of the last flights.

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting flight

Yes I'm arriving in to terminal 5,I'm flying with united airlines,do u think I should ring the travel agent a try get on to a later flight or wil it be enough time???

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,539 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting flight

Personally, I always like to have extra time just in case of flight delays and so I don't have to worry or be running through the airport. I usually won't book a connection anywhere under 2 hours, and I like to have 3 or 4 if I can. So me personally, if I could get a later connection, I'd do it.

I'm sure you'll have other people come tell you 1:50 is enough, because if everything is on time, it is.

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting flight

Yeah I rather be safe than sorry,I didn't no it was a different terminal until I printed tickets today,thanks a lot for ur reply has helped alot,

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting flight

Are you booked on a through ticket or 2 seperate tickets? If you're on a through ticket and do miss your connecting flight it will be United airlines responsibility to get you on the next available flight so if this is the case I wouldn't worry, if it's 2 seperate tickets then I would change to a later flight.

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting flight

Yes I'm flying all the way with united airlines,thankfully,so maybe I shud risk it?wud I more than likely get a flight out tat day,tre are a lot of flights goin to New York

8. Re: Connecting flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 17, 2014