We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does the Lan booking but on a Qantas plane work?

Sydney
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
How does the Lan booking but on a Qantas plane work?

We are flying from Sydney Australia to Santiago Chile in October our tour company booked us with Lan 806 but the plane is operated by Qantas QF 27. Do we checkin at the Lan counter or the Qantas counter at Kingsford Smith? Do I manage my seat selection on the Lan website or the Qantas website? Do I earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points as I am a Qantas FF member and have been for a number of years? How do I redeem my miles with Qantas? Finally which planes fly this route is it the 747-400ER or the 747-400RR as I want to check it out on seat guru?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Sue.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
16,633 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: How does the Lan booking but on a Qantas plane work?

You'll check in and do seat selection with Qantas but you'll need your Qantas PNR - don't know about FF miles and your itinerary should detail which plane is being used.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: How does the Lan booking but on a Qantas plane work?

To get the QF FF points you need to send them the boarding pass showing the QF flight number after you have travelled. Or if you can access the QF PNR in advance add your FF number to it

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: How does the Lan booking but on a Qantas plane work?

To get the QF FF points you need to send them the boarding pass showing the QF flight number after you have travelled. Or if you can access the QF PNR in advance add your FF number to it

Or call reservations or show your ff card at check in,or any of the many ways to get your ff number added to the reservation.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11,371 posts
112 reviews
4. Re: How does the Lan booking but on a Qantas plane work?

Check in with Quantas. On a code share like this, always, always you check in with the operating airline, not the one you booked the ticket with.

Manage the reservation with Quantas if you can. You do need the PNR number from Quantas, but if you have the one from LAN, which should be on your itinerary, you can try entering that and the Quantas site may be able to find it. Sometimes with some airlines that works. And if not, you can call Quantas and they can probably look it up for you.

Give Quantas your FF number either ahead of time or at the airport when you check in. Most of the time you can get miles since you are a member of the program run by the operating airline.

You can probably figure out on the Quantas website which plane is being used. There can't be too many daily flights from Sydney to Santiago, so it should be pretty easy to enter a dummy booking for that flight to see what plane they say it is.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
103 reviews
5. Re: How does the Lan booking but on a Qantas plane work?

Please note QANTAS is an acronym meaning Queensland and Northern Territory Air Service, which was the original name for the airline in the 1930's. It is the only word in common usuage started with the letter Q followed not by U but by another letter.

SYD SCL is a 747 400 if you are flying on QF 27 and QF 28 the direct services

Townsville...
Level Contributor
910 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: How does the Lan booking but on a Qantas plane work?

If you are travelling with only one other person I would try to book seats 70 or 71 AB or JK as these are twosomes at the back of the plane. We had these seats on our flight to/from Santiago and they were great.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
76,500 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: How does the Lan booking but on a Qantas plane work?

Getting back to the original question, at Sydney's International Terminal the check-in desks are not permanently allocated to any airline. The airport allocates the check-in desks to airlines as required.

As you walk into the terminal, there are screens showing departing flights and the check-in counters being used for each of them. Flights that have code-shares will show all the possible flight numbers. Look for your flight and go to the check-in desks shown for it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
132 reviews
8. Re: How does the Lan booking but on a Qantas plane work?

#1 - you might not get a Qantas PNR so you will need to do seat selection all on LAN.com if you can.

Short of that try call QF with the LAN pnr and see what they can do with it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
12,508 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: How does the Lan booking but on a Qantas plane work?

I have booked the same flights as business was 50% off. I did the seat choice etc on Qantas website with the Qantas PNR even tho its LAN metal.

Sydney
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: How does the Lan booking but on a Qantas plane work?

I would just like to thank all the people who responded to my request for information regarding my flight. Thankyou all the advice was very helpful.

Just for future reference anyone else unsure of what is required. Your travel agent or tour company should give you a reference booking, now mine was all upper case letters of the alphabet, 6 letters in all for the Airline that the tickets were purchased through, LAN. I gave our FF numbers to the Tour company at the time of booking but was unsure if they would be attached to our seats when booked. The tour company reserved and confirmed our seats on the plane. Once I had the seats allocated and the booking code, I contacted FF over the phone to make sure our FF numbers were attached to these seats and they confirmed that the tour company had notified them, so all good. But we must turn up to the airline checkin on the day that is being used as the carrier ie QANTAS.

So all good thanks once again for all the help

Sue