We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines Chicago to Rome

Chicago
Level Contributor
396 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
American Airlines Chicago to Rome

I'm in the process of planning a trip to Rome next year and in the past have traveled from Chicago direct to Rome (non-stop) on American Airlines. In looking at flights for next year (April 2014), all I see are connecting flights. Does anyone know if American has stopped flying direct from Chicago to Rome? I realize that their direct flights between these two cities are seasonal - April - October.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,618 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Airlines Chicago to Rome

Looks like they've stopped direct non stop flights - searched on matrix and flights between Chicago and Rome in April 2014 are minimum of 1 stop.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Airlines Chicago to Rome

I think it is too early to see a real schedule for next April!

Isn't American in the middle of merging with US Air?

I imagine that you won't see a final schedule for that far out until at least fall(or maybe winter) of 2013.

Chicago
Level Contributor
396 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Airlines Chicago to Rome

Riff M - You're right about the merger - and I think that may have something to do with it. In the past, I've been able to book direct ORD to FCO quite a bit in advance on AA. I'll hang in there for a few more months to see what develops. I really prefer direct flights.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Airlines Chicago to Rome

I would also wait as the merger may have something to do with the schedule but I've noticed recently that it's now very difficult to get direct flights anywhere, we used to fly direct to South Africa now you have to go via the middle east with one of their airlines, same with Asia.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Airlines Chicago to Rome

Just so we are all using the same terminology -Non stop is the type of flight you are seeking.

"Direct" can have a stop but you stay on the same plane.

La Libertad, El...
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Airlines Chicago to Rome

After the experience on my last AA flights, I would suggest avoiding them like the plague as the merger making them the world's largest airline sure won't improve anything!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: American Airlines Chicago to Rome

Consider Aer Lingus ORD to FCO via Dublin

flying with an E.U. member state airline

you will be able to avail of the E U regulations

if you need too

Google " REGULATION 261 / 2004 "

for info.

Edited: 10:00 am, June 14, 2013
Chicago
Level Contributor
396 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Airlines Chicago to Rome

RiffM - Yes I am looking for a non-stop flight.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Airlines Chicago to Rome

Just flew it last week.

110 to Rome

111 back to Chicago

Call AA

10. Re: American Airlines Chicago to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 20, 2014