We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air China new biz class vs Air Canada biz class?

New York
Level Contributor
200 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Air China new biz class vs Air Canada biz class?

Hi, am in the throes of planning a trip to China. Looking at different flight options.

There are 2 affordable biz class options for my dates. The first one is Air Canada Executive First - LGA/YYZ/PEK going out and PVG/YYZ/LGA or EWR on the return.

For a comparable price, I am also being offered Air China - JFK/PEK going out and SHA/PEK/JFK on the return.

My first thought was to say a flat NO to Air China as I've read blogs with horror stories about dirty planes and bad food (and I have to say I'm not too thrilled at the prospect of using them for a couple of our internal China flights, if the reviews are anything to go by). But I read how they have introduced new B777-300 planes for JFK-PEK which have full flat seats in biz class. And the thought of flying on a new(er) plane with flat seats and at least one of the legs being non-stop sounds tempting.

To anyone who flies to China often or who has tried both - what do you guys think? Should I play it safe and stick with Air Canada who I understand has a good, consistent biz class product? Or is Air China a good option now? Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air China new biz class vs Air Canada biz class?

I would be a tart for the AC AIr Miles. I take it they don't interest you?

New York
Level Contributor
200 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air China new biz class vs Air Canada biz class?

Huh? AC is part of Star Alliance. So I get my United miles. But so is Air China. So what's the diff?

Edited: 11:45 am, June 13, 2013
Canada
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air China new biz class vs Air Canada biz class?

We are frequent Air Canada Executive Class Travellers.

Air Canada offers a solid product , terrific service and amenities. You would be able to access the Maple Leaf Lounges (MLL) during your transition through YYZ..

The priority CATSA screening lines for "J " passengers can be hit and miss...with a tendency to not be open at YYZ...at least during my times of transition.

The pods are pretty comfortable , however a rather solitary experience due to their layout. We manage to bring along a good number of diversions during long hauls plus the AVOD offers expanded entertainment options.

The meal service has improved dramatically over the past couple of years with a genuine focus on providing a superior product.

If your itinerary involves a stopover at YYZ of greater than 6hrs a complimentary Hotel,is provided to Executive class passengers when Travelling internationally

aircanada.com/en/…index.html

Edited: 12:55 pm, June 13, 2013
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air China new biz class vs Air Canada biz class?

Didn't even occur to me you'd get miles with air china.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air China new biz class vs Air Canada biz class?

You can tell by your post that you really want to go with the new Air China plane but before you book check out the reviews on the airlinequality website as there may be some new reviews of the same route.

www.airlinequality.com

New York
Level Contributor
200 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air China new biz class vs Air Canada biz class?

You read my mind...yup, it is tempting to take Air China, I am just more attracted by the thought of one leg being non-stop.

Having said that, the reviews are really mixed even for the new biz class - the seats themselves are being praised but food is supposed to be meh, AVOD even more meh and a couple of posts slammed them for late flights - which would concern me most as I would have a connecting flight on the way back. Ultimately, it may boil down to timings as I am coordinating with some family members who are flying in from other places and it looks like the Air Canada flight lands at around the same time as the other flights. Good to hear that people like the Air Canada product.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
125 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air China new biz class vs Air Canada biz class?

Hi BabyBear,

I have researched to death the same trip, only backwards, and ended up picking Air Canada. Price was way better with Air Canada, and I figure I will get enough of Air China with our inter China flights. Are you on a China cruise tour? We are booked with Viking Imperial Jewels for November 17th, 2013.

G&L in Winnipeg

New York
Level Contributor
200 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air China new biz class vs Air Canada biz class?

Hi G&L! I actually did end up going with Air China. Prices were really good and the one non-stop flight from JFK-Beijing was a big bonus. For me, on long flights its all about the hard product, i.e., seats and from reading the blogs, it seems like the new planes have pretty good seats. And if the food is meh, I can survive and as for the AVOD, I don't plan to watch too much anyways as I just want to get a lot of sleep.

I am indeed on a cruise tour! We are doing a custom cruise tour with China Spree in late Aug that covers Beijing-Xian-Guilin-Chonquing/Yangtze Cruise-Shanghai. First time in China (mainland, have been to Hong Kong several times and loved it) and am super excited! Hope to try the AC long haul product some time!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
125 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air China new biz class vs Air Canada biz class?

What was the final total for the Air Chine flight (if you don't mind me asking), as I found them to be double AC's price, but that could be the difference between travelling from JFK or from YPG? Winnipeg to Shanghai and Beijing to Winnipeg (Embraer 190 Business Class in Canada and 767-300 Executive First on International legs) ended up at C$ 8900.. I would have rather taken a 777, but they only fly out of Toronto, and AC won't book a multi-city from YPG through YYZ, only through YVR.

Edited: 8:52 pm, June 21, 2013
New York
Level Contributor
200 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air China new biz class vs Air Canada biz class?

Holy crappola, that's steep! I paid $4,010 for Air China. Air Canada was slightly less, about $3,900-$3,950 depending on which connection I took from Toronto. But since the diff was under $100, I figured it was better to take a nonstop flight. I had booked earlier this week. In fairness, I got a discounted biz class ticket.

I actually have been to Winnipeg a couple of times for work and really liked it! But I was coming from the US. I had no idea connecting out of Winnipeg could be so expensive! It sounds like yours is an unrestricted ticket, is that maybe why your fare was so high?