We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair passport check question

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,619 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair passport check question

Sorry but on searching forums I can't find the answer to this question....I have flown Ryanair many times but never with no checked bags. Is there any passport check carried out prior to security ( at the Ryan air desk) or can we just go straight through to the gate?

Reason I'm asking is that we flew long haul recently with Qantas and had to do this passport check and all the usual security questions before proceeding to the gate.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,465 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair passport check question

If you're flying with a non-EU passport you will need to get your boarding pass stamped before proceeding to security.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,619 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair passport check question

Sorry should have said, we're on UK passports so all ok to go ahead?

Edited: 8:56 am, June 13, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,465 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair passport check question

Yes, then you can go straight to the gate.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,619 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair passport check question

Many thanks! So excited to be flying Ryanair again!! 😱 Just hope there's not a strike next week or well miss my brother's wedding!

UK
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair passport check question

Ryanair may be different from other airlines... but in my experience, if you go to a check-in/bag drop desk, with any of the airlines I've flown with recently, then they will ask to see your passport.

Seems a bit pointless now that so many people check in online and go straight to the gate... but I guess it's a hang-over from the old days when everybody had to report to a desk prior to their flight. "We've always done it this way..."

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair passport check question

If u haven't got luggage to check in u don't need to go to desk,just go straight to departures,

Kilbirnie...
Level Contributor
187 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair passport check question

go straight to departures your passport and borading pass gets checked before security and as your queuing to get on plane

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair passport check question

<Ryanair may be different from other airlines... but in my experience, if you go to a check-in/bag drop desk, with any of the airlines I've flown with recently, then they will ask to see your passport.>

I thought so too, but I discovered the opposite. A few months back I was on an international flight from LHR to Germany and I checked bags and nobody bothered to ask for any ID. That was British Airways, by the way.

UK
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair passport check question

Considering identity documents are checked at the gate it actually makes perfect sense for airlines NOT to ask for them at check-in or bag drop... but old habits die hard!

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,619 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair passport check question

Totally agree Aviatrix but with Ryanair thought it best to check! Last time it was Qantas who insisted on a doc check at bag drop even with no bag to drop. Maybe because the destination (Brazil) required a visa check also.