We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transiting thru YYZ - how much time do I need?

New York
Level Contributor
198 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Transiting thru YYZ - how much time do I need?

Hi, planning a trip to China and finalizing airlines. Air Canada is offering great connections at a good price, so I am thinking of trying them. Am looking at LGA-YYZ-PEK going out and PVG-YYZ-LGA coming back.

How much time should I allocate for transiting? The standard 1.5 hrs that I follow for Europe or should it be longer? Its been a couple of years since I flew to Canada but I recall we had to clear customs and immigration in Toronto - I assume I would have to do that on my return flight? Is there anything I have to do on the outgoing flight? I'll be in business class, will that help with the lines?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transiting thru YYZ - how much time do I need?

Outbound id allow a fair bit more than 1.5 hours simply because I'd guess there is only the one flight a day with AC from YYZ to PEK so if there was an issue with the flight from LGA, you could arrive a whole day later.

Coming back, many more flights a day YYZ to NYC so you can cut it closer but 1.5 doesn't sound very long when you factor in immigration and customs, though they do have a line for transiting passengers but I've never been that way so not sure if you still have longer queues or not.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transiting thru YYZ - how much time do I need?

_If_ your flight from LGA is on-time, the minimum 1 hr would be fine for the LGA-YYZ-PEK connection: there's a special passport check desk for connecting passengers, and you never see your bags -- it's pretty simple. (aircanada.com/en/…yyz_us_intl.html) However, NYC airports are known for delays so I see Joe's point.

I'd do a minimum of 2 hours on PEK-YYZ-LGA because you have to clear US customs and immigration in Toronto. (Follow the "Connections - 'F' Gates" signs and you'll bypass Canadian customs and immigration to go directly to US formalities.) Although you don't have to actually claim your bags any more on this connection, you still have to wait for them to be processed, and you have to re-clear security. (aircanada.com/en/…yyz_intl_us.html)

Air Canada also flies to Newark and JFK, though not as often as LGA.

Phagwara, India
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transiting thru YYZ - how much time do I need?

If your flight has any delays it would be pushing it to have a tite itinery.

New York
Level Contributor
198 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transiting thru YYZ - how much time do I need?

Thanks guys. I am looking at the various AC combos and think I will take an outgoing flight with a 3 hr transit time in YYZ. That way, even if my flight is delayed leaving LGA, I should be OK. Coming back, it looks like I can get a flight with 2 hrs transit time in YYZ. Not ideal, but if I try and select something with a longer transit time, the price jumps. But I agree that even if I miss it, AC will just put me on the next flight. Will try and figure it out.

Have also been offered Air China in their new J class (flat beds) and will be starting another thread to ask if anyone has gone on it, how it is, etc. Its $91 more expensive but I get one non stop flight going out, return is 1-stop.

5. Re: Transiting thru YYZ - how much time do I need?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 15, 2014