We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada HKG to YVR

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
Air Canada HKG to YVR

Great outbound flight from YVR to HKG. The plane left and arrived on time, and the flight crew was excellent. I was in economy and enjoyed the in-seat video screens.

But, if you want to get from HKG to YVR on time, such as for a connection, DO NOT take AC008. Our flight departed 3 hours late, and the delay was 100% preventable. Air Canada scheduled the same plane which had landed (on time!) at HKG less than 2 hours before. That was clearly not enough time for their maintenance crews to get the plane ready for our flight. As a result, we sat around on the plane for 20 minutes while they finished up. But then the pilot reported a maintenance fault--the amount of fuel burned during those 20 minutes of idling left us with too little fuel to complete the journey! Topping up the fuel took the remainder of the 3 hour delay.

Why doesn't Air Canada just schedule the AC008 to leave a couple hours later, at 9:50pm instead of 7:50pm? Or, barring that, why don't they load on 0.2% more fuel for that flight? According to some of our fellow travelers, AC008 experiences this kind of delay constantly, and for the same reasons. So, beware!

I should say though, more than half the members of the flight crew were upbeat in spite of the open-ended delays, which was nice. Also, I ordered the fruit plate meals, which were very good. And, if you request special meals, they serve you at the very beginning of the meal service, regardless of how far back your seats are. Though that does mean you'll be eating before your seat mates, and you'll have your used tray on your tray table for quite awhile, so be ready for that.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,419 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Canada HKG to YVR

A search at flightaware shows me it is not that common a delay on that flight.

No major airline would have a 4 hour turnaround time at an airport -that would be inefficient plus the airports do not want planes parked for hours using up valuable slots.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Canada HKG to YVR

I would think that Air Canada would heave rescheduled the flight if it was a recurring problem so maybe you were just unlucky.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,348 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Canada HKG to YVR

It sounds as if you were just unlucky - these things happen and it is nobody's fault.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,487 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Canada HKG to YVR

No major airline would have a 4 hour turnaround time at an airport

You'd be surprised, particularly on longhaul flights where timezone changes, flight departure time preferences and similar mean that not all aircraft can be turned around in such a short period of time.

5. Re: Air Canada HKG to YVR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 16, 2014