We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta Buddy Pass from SLC to Europe

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
7 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Delta Buddy Pass from SLC to Europe

Hey everyone. My sister and I have a trip planned to Europe in the Fall (late September through early October) and a friend offered us buddy passes. We would be flying from Salt Lake to Paris (hoping for nonstop!) and returning to Salt Lake from Barcelona two weeks later. Has anyone had any experience flying to Europe in the fall using buddy passes? Are we likely to get stuck? Our schedules are somewhat flexible and we could spend 1-2 days in the airport going there or coming back if needed. Any advice would be appreciated! Happy traveling!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,892 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta Buddy Pass from SLC to Europe

You need to allow 2-3 days for standby--no less. You also need to know how to change plans last-minute and pay for a train or a flight to another city as warranted by the passenger standby list. You need to be flexible to depart from SEA, ATL, MSP, DTW ATL, JFK instead of SLC. Be prepared to know what holidays and high season travel dates are in Europe by city. Be prepared to pay the change fee to arrive back in the US + any additional mileage costs and fuel surcharges. What kind of seniority does your employee friend have? Are you willing to do carry-on only? Will you have funds left after 2 wks to support hotels near airports like Paris or BRU?

Keep in mind that the seasonal service to auxiliary cities like Malaga etc will have ended. That could limit your options to get from BCN back to US.

Study the Delta map and have a solid idea where to go when the worst happens--lots of buddies senior to you.

PM me if you have more q's. I have a website for you. I just got 2 buddies home from BRU today and AMS will be tomorrow.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta Buddy Pass from SLC to Europe

We used buddy passes to go from Washington, DC to Hawaii in October about 10 years ago. We waited most of the first day to get to Atlanta and then L.A., but actually ended up going via JFK (with the caution there was not a guarantee we'd get beyond there). We were on standby for each leg. We stopped in L.A. for a couple of days, on purpose, and then tried to get a flight to Honolulu. No luck, so grabbed one to Maui. On the way back, we went to the Honolulu airport one night and didn't get seats (other standbys did, but we were at the lowest rung of standbys), so went back the next day and got a flight to L.A., then, eventually on to Atlanta and DC.

If you are flexible not just on days but also routings, and even destination, it could work. But, yes, it's conceivable at some point you'd have to pay for a flight at a last-minute fare (at least it was when we went; regs may have changed).

Edited: 3:33 pm, June 10, 2013
kentucky
Level Contributor
5,892 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta Buddy Pass from SLC to Europe

10 years ago was pre-merger and nothing like what it is today. With the merger of two major international carriers came large increases of employee pass riders. Extended families have swelled the pass system and with schedule adjustments with codeshare carriers, there may be 30-50 standbys on some flights for nonrevenue seats, that, frankly, may not even exist. Particularly very popular destinations like Hawaii. Yes, there are many increases in flight options, but with those come the paying customers that every airline needs to survive. We love the revenue pax!

My experiences are current and first-hand. I have extensive knowledge regarding pass travel, especially on DL. OP--your travel dates are pretty decent but keep in mind, that's what everyone else is thinking!

Edited: 4:03 pm, June 10, 2013
Los Angeles...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta Buddy Pass from SLC to Europe

kyshel, I am doing my BP research as well and would love any information you have not already publicly posted. Im trying to get from LA to , well, anywhere in Europe with the easiest chance of a seat. Figured I can find my way to wherever I want to go from there! Thanks in advance!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,892 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta Buddy Pass from SLC to Europe

DNA--please send me a PM with seniority year. Also need estimated travel date. Europe is larger than you think. You can choose Ireland to Turkey and lots in between. Departure taxes vary from $30ish to $150 added to mileage charge and pass surcharges. I'll send you a great nonrev website to check, too.

San Antonio, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta Buddy Pass from SLC to Europe

HI Kyshel, I am also looking for help deciding whether I should use a delta buddy pass. I am hoping to catch a flight out December 19th or 20th from SLC to San Antonio, TX (there are several non-stop flights) and plan to return January 4th (again, several non-stop flights). Tickets are currently selling at $357 and the buddy pass would be ~$200, so wanted to get your thoughts. I feel a bit better knowing SLC is a Delta hub, but didn't know if there was a way to check remaining seat capacity for those flights, given its near the holidays . Thanks in advance for your help.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta Buddy Pass from SLC to Europe

ClaudiaV0 - have you asked the person from whom you got this pass to check this for you? I would think this is a bit risky considering the time of year, and how very full flights will be. Please come back and post if you were successful.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,892 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delta Buddy Pass from SLC to Europe

WHOA--you are asking for trouble during those holiday dates. Yes, SLC is a hub but that makes it more difficult for you. Not because of the # of flights but the # of employees/families traveling. I would buy a ticket w/any airline instead of risking a BP. If there are any weather issues, you're up creek w/no seats. I 'm not sure you're getting the correct price due to fuel surcharges that are still in place. Buy a tkt and have a wonderful trip. Happy Holidays!

PS--I'm flying w/27 yrs seniority and high priority over the holidays but if I don't get on, I'll go home and have some cocoa and homemade marshmallows. Cheers!

Edited: 4:30 pm, December 03, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Delta Buddy Pass from SLC to Europe

Thanks, your advice helps a lot! I will avoid the trouble and go with the guaranteed ticket. Thanks again for your help and happy holidays!

10. Re: Delta Buddy Pass from SLC to Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 05, 2015