We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easyjet new hand luggage size rules from 1st July 2013

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Easyjet new hand luggage size rules from 1st July 2013

Hi we had a communication recently from easyjet advising that they had reduced their hand luggage size rules to guarantee that your hand luggage travels with you in the cabin. Apparently if your luggage is above their new reduced size but within the standard hand luggage allowance size, you maye be asked to stow your luggage in the hold, to ensure that everyone has a fair chance to fit their hand luggage in the overhead lockers on each flight when it's a full and busy flight.

My question is, there are 7 of us travelling but will only be taking 3 hand luggages between us, they are within the standard size allowances but are larger than the new reduced sizes that easyjet say would guarantee it flies with you in the cabin and not have to be put in the hold. As we only have 3 hand luggages between 7 of us, surely this would mean that we would be allowed to take them in cabin, rather than in the hold, as we will only be taking 3 not the full 7 allowed???? Any advice please or does anyone already know the answer to this? :-)

Edited: 6:16 pm, June 09, 2013
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Easyjet new hand luggage size rules from 1st July 2013

Hi Nola

I think we have a language/translation problem.

Rules: one cabin bag, maximum size 56cm x 45cm x 25cm including wheels and handles.

THIS HAS NOT CHANGED

But if there is a shortage of space in the overhead lockers then you might have a bag this size checked into the hold for free.

If you are using a bag 50cm x 40cm x 20cm or less then you will not be asked to check this as it will fit under the seat in front of you.

The only important thing is the one bag rule.

If you have bought the larger bag it will be fine, but as a precaution put your purse (don't know what this is in American) camera, iPad, medicines etc into a plastic bag which can be taken out so your valuables stay with you when the bag is gate checked.

You don't have to spend anymore money on luggage.

Have a good trip

Jackie

Nottingham...
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Easyjet new hand luggage size rules from 1st July 2013

I'm due to fly with easyjet in jan, never flown with them before. As well as my hand luggage case, can I keep my handbag out with me or does this have to go in the case the same as Ryan air? Any help please, thanks.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
9,125 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Easyjet new hand luggage size rules from 1st July 2013

From Easyjet's website:

The use of 'ONE' in capitals indicates that you are allowed ONE bag and any handbag you carry will have to fit into that ONE bag.

<<

Cabin bag guarantee on all flights. Make sure your cabin bag travels with you.

Our customers have told us they want to keep their cabin bag with them – and not have to put it in the hold on busy flights where overhead locker space is limited.

And now you can. Our new cabin bag guarantee means you can make sure your bag travels with you in the cabin, even on the busiest flights.

To take advantage of the guarantee, simply bring ONE slightly smaller bag no bigger than 50 x 40 x 20cm including handles and wheels and we’ll guarantee it will travel with you either in the overhead locker or, if necessary, under the seat in front of you.

You can still choose to bring ONE slightly bigger bag up to the maximum size of 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels, but on some busy flights your bag may have to go into the hold.

>>

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,938 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Easyjet new hand luggage size rules from 1st July 2013

It's all clearly explained on their website:

http://support.easyjet.com/faq/en/request.do?view%28%29=c{c7b3bfc0-ced8-11e2-ef6e-000000000000}

New York
Level Contributor
69 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Easyjet new hand luggage size rules from 1st July 2013

Not really that clear, because I haven´t seen in their website the word FREE when they explain what happens with luggage that not exceed the limit of size and it´s put in hold. I have seen the word free in every other part where they explain the new rule (like in this forum) but it is not in their website, which I think can lead to being charge for that. Have you found an official easyjet explanation saying that?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,586 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Easyjet new hand luggage size rules from 1st July 2013

They don't charge, as long as it doesn't exceed their maximum size for hand luggage!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,983 posts
Save Reply
67. Re: Easyjet new hand luggage size rules from 1st July 2013

< Not really that clear, because I haven´t seen in their website the word FREE when they explain what happens with luggage that not exceed the limit of size and it´s put in hold. >

Can't see a fee here

http://www.easyjet.com/fees-and-charges

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Easyjet new hand luggage size rules from 1st July 2013

U don't get charged when your hand luggage gets put into the hold,...it is explained on the T& C,

London, England...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Easyjet new hand luggage size rules from 1st July 2013

On the T&c's now:

--

20.3.5 Carriage of any Cabin Baggage in the aircraft cabin is subject to space being available for it to be safely stowed. (See Cabin Baggage FAQ)

20.3.5 Cabin baggage no bigger than 50 x40 x 20cm including handles and wheels will be placed either in the overhead locker, or if necessary, under the seat in front of You. Carriage of Cabin Baggage bigger than 50x40x20cm in the aircraft cabin is subject to space being available for it to be safely stowed. (See Cabin Baggage FAQ)

20.3.6 If You exceed Your Cabin Baggage allowance, You will be required to submit at the bag drop desk or at the boarding gate any additional and/or oversized bags as Hold Luggage to be carried in the aircraft hold. You will be charged a Hold Luggage fee per item and any applicable Excess Weight fees per kilo as set out in Our Fees and Charges.

--

I cant see anywhere on the T&C's that claims it is free (I'm even more confused now).

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Easyjet new hand luggage size rules from 1st July 2013

U don't check your hand luggage in u arrive at the gate with it as normal,if its a full flight they take your hand luggage from u & check it in to go in the hold u get to take anything u need for the flight out of it & when u arrive at your destination u go collect your handluggage from the carrousel,..its happened to me twice once in May & once in September,no problem & deffo no charge???