We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight prices Edinburgh to New York March 2014

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
Flight prices Edinburgh to New York March 2014

Hello,

My fiancé and I are going to New York next March to get married. We are looking to book flights for 6 people to start with - more will book later.

My question is: Is £540 a good price for flights from Edinburgh-JFK (via Heathrow) with BA? Our families will be staying for 5 nights - these dates are for 20th - 25th March.

We are planning to see a bit more of the US and will be returning from LA on the 6th April. Is £600 a good price for Edinburgh-JFX (via heathrow), LAX- Edinburgh?

The only reason I am questioning this is that similar flights were for sale with virgin for £464 and £544 respectively. We weren't ready to book last week when these prices were available and I am not sure about travelling with Virgin anyway because of the reviews of there service recently.

I'm just wondering if prices may drop a bit lower again or whether I run the risk of them actually getting higher! Also, what are people's experiences with the different seat booking arrangements with BA and Virgin?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight prices Edinburgh to New York March 2014

I think the price is quite high and would wait a bit longer to book, check out the matrix and skyscanner websites for prices and schedules, sign up to skyscanner to get reduced price alerts.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

www.skyscanner.net

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight prices Edinburgh to New York March 2014

I honestly thought with a connection from Scotland, it was a reasonable price. We're used to paying a premium! ;-)

Can I also suggest you consider checking the price of a hotel through BA and your flight. You might make further savings this way - hotels can be booked for just part of the stay as I see you are changing location.

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,570 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight prices Edinburgh to New York March 2014

It's not terrible prices but I'd say there's a good chance they'll come down a bit before March. Unless Avios/tier points are an issue, I would look to fly direct with United. Much easier than having to go through London.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight prices Edinburgh to New York March 2014

Chances are good that prices for March 2014 will come down closer to the proposed dates,agree with Lexexpress about trying to avoid LHR maybe consider Aer Lingus via Dublin as the pre-clearance at DUB will save valuable hours on arrival JFK which a party of 6 might appreciate on a 5 day trip -prices at the moment are showing £477

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,598 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight prices Edinburgh to New York March 2014

I would describe these prices as reasonable - they might go down but probably not by much and there is always scope for increases.

You can get non stop flights to Newark with UA for the same price and an open jaw returning from LAX with Newark for around £620.

Remember that seat selection with BA in advance of the free period 24 hours before departure is going to incur additional fees.

London, United...
Level Contributor
245 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight prices Edinburgh to New York March 2014

I think the £600 is good, that's what we paid for open jaw heathrow - Boston, Washington - Heathrow.

Edited: 5:14 pm, June 08, 2013
Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight prices Edinburgh to New York March 2014

Thanks everyone!

Sorry I didn't reply for a while - I asked for notifications when people replied and it didn't work!

I think we might consider the other two options of Air Lingus and United - do you get the same leg room/entertainment as you do with Virgin and BA?

We are keen not to wait too long to book as it is for our wedding and we need to get the officiant and photographer confirmed soon.

Thanks again!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,907 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight prices Edinburgh to New York March 2014

>> I think we might consider the other two options of Air Lingus and United - do you get the same leg room/entertainment as you do with Virgin and BA? <<

Re United, Yes, and potentially better.

Legroom, in United's basic economy you get the same legroom as BA and Virgin (31" seat pitch). You can pay a premium and get Economy Plus for 35-36" seat pitch (and exit rows) which IMO is worth it. The premium is running at about £65-75 per leg on the transatlantics, less on the domestic legs.

Entertainment - The United flights to/from Edinburgh-Newark have full AVOD (audio-video on demand). A very good set of movies and TV options.

The "downside" of United is that alcoholic drinks aren't free on United.

MOST importantly, be very careful about the transfer times, especially to the US via Newark. Some layovers offered are ridiculously short at 1hr30 or less. Allow 3 hours for the transit at the US gateway as you need to complete US Immigration and Customs at your first point of entry to the US. But that's also true of ANY connection from the UK to the US.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight prices Edinburgh to New York March 2014

Hello!

We finally booked last night. We got Edinburgh to JFK (via Heathrow) for £463 with BA, and Edinburgh to JFK, LA to Edinburgh for £540.

Waiting really did pay off! BA launched their sale today which is typical, however the prices are the same as what we paid last night thank goodness!

We decided to go with BA because of the Avios - we are planning a trip to Australia the year after our wedding and will benefit from the link to Qantas.

Thank you for all the advice!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight prices Edinburgh to New York March 2014

Youtube " U S Customs at dublin airport "

meaning you arrive states side same as a

domestic passenger.

from the plane you will go straight to the

baggage area and then on your way.