We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jfk -- how much time

Swannanoa, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
jfk -- how much time

I will be arriving at jfk on a Tuesday around 1130 am. My flight for Europe doesn't depart until 1120pm. How much time will I need in order to get checked in on time?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,103 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jfk -- how much time

Most airlines suggest/recommend allowing 3 hours for the check in/clearing security procedures for international flights - you could get away with less in you've completed OLCI beforehand.

Swannanoa, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jfk -- how much time

Thank you!

Virginia
Level Contributor
222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jfk -- how much time

Had a similar layover at JFK a few years back. We took the subway into Queen and ate in Chinatown before returning to the airport.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,457 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jfk -- how much time

If you are checked through from your departure point, meaning you will have picked up your boarding pass and have your bags checked to Europe from your home city, then you won't need to check-in again at JFK. Spend your day at Manhattan if you wish. Get back to the airport by 10pm to clear security. You will then have plenty of time to reach your gate.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jfk -- how much time

I would definitely go into Manhattan to pass some time, but get back 3 hours before your flight so you don't have to rush, it's better to have time for a coffee than be stressed out.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jfk -- how much time

Sammyfloyd--1 hr and 20 mins is not recommended for JFK TSA. OP--I'd arrive no less than 2 hours. Most flights board min 45+ mins prior

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,454 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jfk -- how much time

DO not under estimate the amount of time needed to go through security at JFK. Which terminal are you leaving from? --if you do not know that--what airline are you flying? I fly out of Terminal 4 and fly business. Theoretically I get to cut part of the line before security. A month ago it took close to an hour to go through security. If I had been cutting it close they would be paging me and/or removing my luggage from the aircraft so it could proceed without me.

BUT you CAN easily go into Manhattan with the time you have. C'mon over to the NYC forum and people will help you out.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,457 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jfk -- how much time

I have done plenty of JFK trips outbound with the time allowance I mentioned without any problems.

Of course, it never hurts to allow extra time.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jfk -- how much time

3 hours, I have been to JFK T4 and security has long queues, other times its empty. So its always best to get through, have some food and drink airside, and relax. I hate being rushed especially in JFK, it can be stressful.. also me and a friend managed statue of Liberty , last minute shopping and dinner before our 9pm flight.

Edited: 12:50 am, June 04, 2013
Swannanoa, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jfk -- how much time

Thanks everyone for the info. My flight leaves from terminal 1.

Am I understanding this correctly? I can check in when I arrive that morning? Then go into the city and when i return 2-3 hrs before take off, only go thru security? I booked my tickets seperately, so not sure I can check in from my starting airport.

Edited: 6:48 pm, June 05, 2013