We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liquid medicine in hand luggage

west mids
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Liquid medicine in hand luggage

Hi,

We're flying to Cuba in three weeks time and our 4 year old daughter takes medicine three times a day. She's going to need two doses while we're on the plane. What are the rules about liquid medicines?

Also both her and my husband are asthmatic so will have inhalers but don't remember ever having a problem carrying them on the flight.

York, England
Level Contributor
383 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liquid medicine in hand luggage

Inhalers are fine. I took a letter from my GP explaning the illness and medication and had no problems at airports here and in the USA, I also needed to keep the medication cool so had ice packs in the bag. My bag was inspected a little more thoroughly and questions asked but overall it wasn't a problem. I also emailed the airline just to make them aware.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,093 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liquid medicine in hand luggage

This is an example of the rules from the Virgin Atlantic website for flights from the UK.

"Liquids must be in individual containers, no greater than 100ml capacity

All liquid containers must be placed in a transparent, re-sealable bag (ie. with a zip or pressable seal). The bag must be no bigger than 20cm x 20cm (8ins x 8ins), and a maximum of one litre in capacity

Only one transparent re-sealable bag is allowed. Bags not fulfilling the requirements above are not allowed"

If you cannot comply with these rules for medical reasons you should contact your airline for further advice.

UK
Level Contributor
6,403 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liquid medicine in hand luggage

The easiest way to get round any issues is to pour a day's worth of medicine into a small bottle.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,257 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liquid medicine in hand luggage

Any medication taken should be in the original packing with the pharmacists label on it, and you should take a copy of the prescription with you. If you get your luggage searched by Cuban customs there should then be no problems.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liquid medicine in hand luggage

Just ask the pharmacy to dispense the prescription into smaller bottles of 100ml or less, he will put the prescription label on each bottle so there shouldn't be a problem when travelling with it.......

Edited: 6:13 am, May 26, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,823 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Liquid medicine in hand luggage

Does the UK not have an exception for liquid medication like the US does?

UK
Level Contributor
6,403 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Liquid medicine in hand luggage

"Does the UK not have an exception for liquid medication like the US does?"

There is no blanket exception. You have to clear it with your airline on a case-by-case basis. The only thing for which there is a blanket exception is baby food.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,823 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Liquid medicine in hand luggage

Airlines are responsible for security in the UK? That doesn't sound right.

Don't you have to taste the baby food in the UK, thereby ruining it?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,207 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Liquid medicine in hand luggage

If you take jars of baby food in your hand luggage from the UK then yes, you will be asked to taste it!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Liquid medicine in hand luggage

From Heathrow Airports website:.

Can I take medicines in my hand baggage?

You can take enough essential liquid, aerosol or gel medicines in your hand luggage to cover your flight plus a reasonable amount to cover any delays. Any liquid, aerosol or gel medication not needed on the flight, together with any spares must be packed in your hold baggage.

There are no security restrictions on the carriage of powder or solid based medicines.

Liquid, aerosol or gel medicines in containers of 100ml or less should be either:

Placed inside your single transparent, resealable plastic bag no larger than 20cm x 20cm, along with any other liquid items; or

Carried separately together with supporting documentary proof of authenticity such as a prescription or letter from your doctor.

Liquid, aerosol or gel medicines in containers over 100ml must be carried separately, together with supporting documentary proof of authenticity, such as a prescription or letter from your doctor.

At security, you must present all liquid, aerosol and gel medication for inspection. As part of the screening process and only if safe to do so you may be asked to apply some medication to your skin or taste it.

The rules above apply equally to homeopathic and children’s medicines.

There is no requirement to contact the airport in advance of your travels.

Having a quick look at a couple of other UK airports they say the same thing, just worded a little differently.

Edited: 8:51 am, May 26, 2013